Friday 12 November 2010

STILL POOTLIN'

  After completing my work on the blog last night, I looked out and discovered it was pouring with rain.  Somewhat illogically I decided to go out for a meal, and by the time I was changed and ready, the rain had ceased.  I had noticed that a place called Arnold's nearby was always full of customers, so taking that as a good sign I ventured there.  And indeed the 5 Mozambique prawns with chili sauce on a bed of couscous, got me off to a fine start washed down by a Jack Matthews draught beer.  For the main course I had an excellent fillet steak on a bed of mashed potatoes and veg covered with a mushroom sauce, and another beer.  Shortly after I came in a bunch of four girls sat down at the table next to me, who were all about to disperse to their various homes after some sort of trip together.  One was from Cornwall where she lived with her mother albeit her father who had divorced her mother resided in France. However she and her mother were going to Perth in February as her brother had had a baby girl with his partner.  All four were in their early 30's as each gave her age.  Another one was from Holland, whilst one was definitely American and I think the fourth was German.  Anyway they provided my entertainment throughout the meal! My meal came to just under £20.00 and I was presented with a voucher for a free bottle of wine next time I came.  I shall be there again tonight!  Although a full bottle of wine all to myself is possbily a tad excessive, waste not want not.
  When I went out for my breakfast this morning I noticed there were people paragliding around the Lion's Head, which I attempted to photograph.  The manageress at Sofia's now looks upon me as a regular, and we had a long chat, about what else I should do in Cape Town.  The museum was one place she advised visiting.  However I went down the Botanical Gardens again, as there were areas I hadn't fully explored.

I was amused by a bird perching atop Jan Smits' head outside the Museum of South African art.

  On my way down the road towards Long Street, I decided to turn right down a side street, I believe it was Rheese Street or Road - there was no road sign but according to the map that should be the name.  Imagine my surprise when I stumbled across a second hand record shop!  Real vinyl singles and albums as well as CD's.  I spent a pleasurable time going through their stock, although in the end decided against buying any LP's as the thought of lugging them around for the next eight months did not appeal.  A couple of Duane Eddy South African RCA albums - how come you missed spotting them when you were in Cape Town, Jim?
                          
  I did however find an autobiography by Nasser Hussain for £2.00, which appropriately starts with the World Cape fracas in 2003 when the England team were holed up in a Cape Town hotel trying to decide whether to go to Zimbabwe.  I now have a good thick book to read.

  I have received an e-mail from Matt at Charly requesting me to check out missing details for him on a compilation he has done, so I shall have to get down to some work.  Tomorrow promises to be warmer so I definitely think I'll opt for the bus tours on Saturday and Sunday.  On Monday when I depart for Durban it promises to be 30 degrees.

1 comment:

  1. Get back and get those DE albums and post to UK post haste.
    Have you been atop table mountain yet?
    BTW what are you doing chatting up all those girls?

    ReplyDelete