Thursday 18 November 2010

DOWNTOWN DURBAN

THURSDAY 18th NOVEMBER

  The weather seems to show little sign of improvement.  The rain has stopped but it is overcast with no sign of the sun, whilst the wind along the sea front is more than brisk.  No knock on the door this morning, in fact the maid did not complete her chores until this afternoon.  After a leisurely breakfast, and clad in long trousers, a T-shirt and jacket, I set off in search of downtown Durban.  I retraced last nights' footsteps to the Tourist Information office on the seafront, where they duly furnished me with a street map of the town.  I carried on along the seafront until I reached Dr Pixley Kaseme Street (formerly known as West Street), where I did a sharp right turn and trundled along the good doctor road until I threw a left at Samora Machel which led me down to the harbour.  I had a look around the harbour, but whether it was gale force winds that blew around me, or whatever, I wasn't totally impressed.

  It was on my way back towards Dr Pixley Kaseme Street, that I discovered that not all drivers take note of things like red lights, as just as I was about to step off the pavement in answer to the little green man, a lorry thundered through the red lights totally oblivious of their colour, or maybe the driver was just colour blind?

  I turned left into Dr Pixley and soon encountered the start of the shopping area.  It was there that I found a book shop that stocked postcards, the only one I have found here to date, and purchased cards to send to the grandchildren.  I was surprised at the number of wig shops I encountered, but didn't see any wigs that I thought might suit me, especially as they would have had to co-ordinate with the walrus moustache that Jim seems to be so keen on me dispensing with!


 I then reached the City Hall (which dates back to 1910), with the adjoining Francis Farewell Square lying between Anton Lembede Street (formerly Smith Street) and Dr Pixley Kaseme Street.  The square also includes the Cenotaph, and it marks the spot where the British adventurers Francis Farewell and Henry Fynn set up the first white encampment in order to trade ivory with the Zulus.

  It was only eventually in Anton Lembede Street that I first found a CD shop.  (I have to confess to purchasing a Ladysmith Black Mambazo CD for 39 Rand (about £3.50). There had been a couple of false alarms; the Poonan Music Shop turned out to be full of second hand pianos and a set of drums, whilst the Natal Music store was full of guitars and amplifiers.  Armed with several postcards, I was pleased to locate the Post Office in Church Street, where I invested in some stamps.  I then found myself outside the "Workshop" which turned out to be an indoor shopping mall, with outdoor stalls in the surrounding areas.

My sole investment was a 3.50 Rand ice cream cone, and after a rest on a bench I started heading for home.  By the time I got back over four hours had elapsed since my departure.  I met the maid on the way to my room who told me she was coming with some new pillow cases.  I got down to tackling some more of Celia Cruz' tracks but at the time of writing I still have a few more to do to complete the task.  I have just spoken with Mark on Skype, and mentioned that I had watched the England match last night, not to mention the Chelsea v Sunderland game.  "Not to mention" I think is the appropriate term! And now I've decided it is time for dinner.  Outside I can still hear the wind howling!

  If the weather continues in its relatively miserable mode - and here I of course appreciate that it is much better than back at home - I think tomorrow I may wander down the uShaka Aquarium and check out the marine life.

No comments:

Post a Comment