Saturday 27 November 2010

G'DAY AUSTRALIA




FRIDAY 26th NOVEMBER

  Well I guess the above photos are more or less self explanatory.  We had breakfast on the plane a couple of hours befor landing at 1.30pm and I'm glad to say that the Australian systems were working very efficiently and I was through passport control, baggage reclaim, and food control in no time and found the shuttle coach ready and waiting.  I asked to be dropped off at the Goodearth Hotel, and indedd was the second drop on the run.

  I checked in and unpacked and then asked which direction to head to get to the town centre.  Apparently it was a 12 minute walk or I could catch a free bus.  I opted for the free bus (it was almost like being home again!).  I found the shopping centre and was promptly accosted by a girl trying to get me to support Green Peace financially in their fight against genetically modified foods in Australia.  It turned out she was from Essex, but this did not sway me in my decision to tell her that I did not have any great interest in genetically modified foods nor their fight with the Australian government on that score, and we parted company.  I soon came across a Dick Smith Electronics shop where I purchased a Virgin dongle for my computer.  I also came across an Apple store and asked what provider they recommended for my iPhone allowing for the fact that I would be in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney as well as Perth. Optus was the answer, and he told me how to get to their store which was no more than a few hundred yards away.  I explained what I wanted and duly got a pay as you go SIM card and now have an Australian mobile no (0432523112) as well as access to the Internet.

  After getting back to the hotel I phoned Robert and established contact with him.  He told me he had phoned Steve to check if the Adelaide Test Match tickets had arrived.  Steve told him he hadn't checked his post for a couple of weeks, so he didn't know, but would check the next day. I had a barramudi and chips washed down by a VB at the hotel before adjourning to bed about 9.00pm.  Tomorrow I would tackle the dongle access.

No comments:

Post a Comment