Wednesday 24 November 2010

LAST FULL DAY IN AFRICA

WEDNESDAY 24th NOVEMBER

  My last full day in Africa! Breakfast was a repeat of yesterday both in terms of menu and location.  Afterwards I tried to post some more blogs but couldn't get an internet connection, so gave up.  I had read in the morning paper that there was a 60% chance of rain and the temperature would be between 18-20 degrees  (a tad warmer than London from what I hear).  Communications have been established on Skype with Alan with whom I have now spoken twice.  Giving up on the computer, I donned long trousers and took my waterproof jacket and again set off by bus with an all day ticket.






  I got off at Warwick Junction again and carried on from where I left off yesterday.  I wandered around the Berea Station which is more of a market than a station although trains do stop there!  An amazing array of produce was available, including tape cassettes which are still very popular with the African community.  Sacks of rice, various seeds, bones, remedial recipes, food of all kinds, clothing in abundance, mobile phones, curios, African carvings, meat, fish, you name it it was there.  I reached Victoria Market via a series of foot bridges where I found a CD Shop.  I was warmly welcomed by a young lad who promptly tried to sell me anything I stood in front of.  I told him I wasn't into hiphop but rather '50s and '60s music.  He tried to convince me that I should buy a double CD of African music but as it contained a lot of sides by Ladysmith Black Mambazo whom I had already purchased a CD by, I declined.  However I did find CD's by Brook Benton and Dobie Gray (original recordings) for under £4.00 each, so not everything is that expensive. Elsewhere I also found NOW 51 (African release) for under 10 Rand.  I went to pay and the chap kept saying what sounded like "two round".  After about the fifth repeat I twigged that he was saying that the price was 10 Rand as I was offering him a 100 Rand note (the price on the record said 33R - but I then noticed that there was a notice that said 9.95Rand).  I duly offered a 10 Rand note and withdrew the 100.  I went back to look if there was anything of interest but sadly could find nothing to titillate my palette.

  I was intrigued to see all the women carrying goods on their head, but did not have the effrontery to photograph them from the front, but I did catch one from the rear!  Apparently Dr Goonan Street is the place to find your Indian curry African style.  I duly indulged in a 12 Rand curry in the pink building above, the actual shop has a red frontage.

  Making my way back to the bus stop on Dr Yusuf Dadoo Street, I spotted a bus approaching on the other side of the street.  The lights were still red although the little green man had stopped running.  However I had gathered from past experience that the lights don't change for a while afterwards.  I decided to run across the street.  Half way across I tripped and went flying and landed flat on my face, briefly wondering if I was about to be run over.  I could hear woman screaming and looking up saw them waving at the on coming cars.  With a speed that even surprised myself I sprung up and completed my crossing of the street at considerable speed, nearly copping it from a minibus that was accelerating on the far lane.  I cleared it by a small margin, and reached the other side to cries of "Are you alright?"  An Indian trader offered me a seat, but as my bus had my this time reached the bus stop, I yelled back "I'm OK thanks - catching the bus", and carried on sprinting (or my version of sprinting) for the bus, just catching said bus.  I got off in Dr Pixley Kaseme Street and visited several shops, did a bit of shopping and eventually caught a bus back to the hotel from the City Hall.

  I suffered a grazed elbow and a slight scratch to the camera that was in my pocket.  The First Aid kit came into play for the first time (thanks Denise), and my elbow already looks a lot better.  The knee took a slight bang but no damage done. (The camera still has the scratch!).  I must remember not to run in my sandals which are fine for width, but are a couple of inches longer than my toes, and as a result I'm liable to trip even when walking, however that does not usually result in a fall, but running is a different matter!

  I got back on line when I connected the computer and have been busily catching up with the posts.  I shall treat myself to a last fillet steak in the cafe tonight, and then complete my packing, which I have already started.  I have to check out of my room at 10.00am tomorrow, but the cab doesn't arrive until 4.00pm, so I'll have to find something to do for six hours.  More European Cup football on the telly tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment