Wednesday 17 November 2010

THE BELAIRE HOTEL, DURBAN

MONDAY 15th NOVEMBER



 My room overlooks the seafront (see picture above), and my room on the 7th floor can be identified by a slightly opened window more or less in the middle of the building.  I unpacked my shoulder bag, had a go at trying to set my safe - a task in which I totally failed, and decided to have a rest.  I then decided to unpack my case.  I was sure I had taken out the keys from my zipped pocket when I first arrived, but couldn't seem to find them anywhere.  I have a fairly large room, with table, chairs, settee, sink, microwave, cupboards, wardrobe and a toilet/bathroom (again a poxy shower - the size of a bath - but no bath).  I decided to search the whole room from one end to the other, even moving the settee and bed in case the keys had fallen underneath.  I searched all my clothes, the things I had unpacked but of the keys there was no sign.  I searched the safe, had another go at setting a password, but neither could I find the keys nor could I get the safe to work.  I took the lift downstairs and spoke to the receptionist and explained my predicament.  She summoned the hotel manager, who armed himself with a series of tools and followed me to the 7th floor.  It took him about 10 minutes to eventually bust the lock.  In the process this had resulted in some of the stitching on the zip coming undone.  The safe, well that wasn't me thank gawd. The Manager had to take it apart and reset the mechanism, and then I was able to follow the instructions.  I fnally unpacked my case and wandered down stairs for dinner.

  I was served by a black waiter and asked him if they had a beer.  This seemed to fool him completely and he asked me to repeat the request.  Eventually he shook his head and said no.  Obviously my pronounciation of "beeah" completely fooled him, being used to a request for "birr", as the following night I had no problem in getting a bottle of Castle.  Anyway I chose from the list of drinks he gave me and opted for a banana milkshake.  I then inquired about food and was told there wasn't any, so gave up.  However when I heard the chap at the next table order a curry, I enquired again.  Did they do curries, yes, could I have a menu, yes, could I have the Natal lamb curry, yes.  Various other waiters/waitresses came and asked me what I would like but I told them that I had already ordered.  Eventually the original waiter came and asked what I would like, to which I replied that I was waiting for my curry that I had ordered from him.  He assured me that I hadn't ordered anything, but was happy to take my order now!  The dish was very nice, but what it had to do with curry I do not know.  A kind of lamb stew with rice, and a popadum without a hint of curry about it, I suppose the popadum was the nearest thing to curry about the whole affair.  I did not leave a tip!

  I went back to my room and watched some cricket highlight son the excellent LG flat screen TV they provided in my room.  I was left to reflect that I would have to carry out some repairs to my suitcase before setting off for Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment