Sunday 28 November 2010

FROM THE GABBA TO THE WACA

SUNDAY 28th NOVEMBER

  I was awake at 7.00am today and promptly went downstairs to get a toasted egg & bacon baguette from the restaurant and with a self made coffee plonked myself in front of the TV and watched the cricket.  Everthing went well for England with both openers scoring a hundred, and by the end of the day only Strauss was out, with England ahead. The baguette sustained me all day and only now at 7.40pm am I thinking of having something to eat.  During the lunch break, more by luck than by judgement I managed to get the dongle working, and so hopefully am now able to get the Internet at any time.

  The cricket finished early due to bad light which was about 2.30pm local time, so I set off in the opposite direction to the town centre.  I came across Queens Gardens around which I meandered and observed some of the birds wandering around in the water.  There was a warning note at the entrance that this was the hatching period.


  At the far end of the park was the WACA Cricket ground.  I walked around three sides of it, but seemingly it isn't possible to get completely round it.  There was a game on in there, but quite frankly I was cricketed out, not to mention starting to get thirsty.


  At the far end of the ground was the entrance to the Gloucester Park Race Course.  It looked closed.
  I wandered back towards the hotel, the temperature was 35 degrees today, which I found pleasantly hot!  I came across a supermarket and invested in some cold drinks which are now in the fridge, and some food and nibbles to watch the last day of the Test Match tomorrow.

  I then walked down to the Fennian Pub which is on the next crossing down Adelaide Terrace, and invested in a pint of Swan Draught at the princely sum of £6.00.  (Yesterday it had cost me £4.00 at the Lucky Shag).  I know the Irish are short of a bob or two, but................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I took a book with me and sat outside in the shade for as long as the pint lasted (basically 53 pages).  I have my doubts about the accuracy of the sign post outside, but then the Paddies could always spin a tale!

  I have failed to make contact with Steve Jones today both on his mobile and home number but have left him my mobile on both.  We still don't know if the tickets have safely arrived.  I did speak to Rob who is also currently in the dark, but recommended a brewery called Little Creatures in Fremantle, which I may attempt to visit tomorrow.

  After imbibing some of my cold drink I set off to test the hotel's claim that they are a mere 2 minutes walk from the Swan River.  Allowing for my leisurely rate of perambulation they are not far wrong!

The building between the twin towers above is the Goodearth Hotel, snapped from the seat I am in below, with the river behind me.  Shortly before sunset I returned to the hotel, and set about downloading the photos from my camera and reconnected to the Internet to post this blog.  Halfway through Mark phoned on Skype, and updated me on the football results as well as telling me that the bulk of England is under snow except for Heathrow.  He hopes it will stay the same until Wednesday when he sets off for Australia.  All things being equal we shall meet in Adelaide on Friday.

1 comment:

  1. shaving the moustache off worked miracles.England came good in the cricket,Spurs got a last minute goal to win.

    ReplyDelete