Sunday 14 November 2010

THE LONG WALK

SATURDAY 13th NOVEMBER
  After breakfasting at Sofia's I decided to try a new route down to the Wharf.  It proved to be quicker and as a result I carried on further to view the new football stadium built for the recent World Cup Finals.  In the end my walk turned into a five hour marathon and I returned back to the hotel knackered!


  The weather was overcast initially but generally cleared up and it was quite a nice day, albeit the good old south easterly freshened things up a bit.  I carried on to Grainger Bay where I had a view of Robben Island, which apparently is some 10Km out to sea.  It was first used as a prison in the 1600 when a local native was imprisoned by the Dutch for repossessing his livestock that he thought the Dutch had unfairly deprived him of, and duly managed to escape!  I have now seen all three prisons that Nelson Mandela was held in during his time of imprisonment, including the one he was released from which we saw on the wine tasting tour.

  I made my way back to the V&A Wharf (it stands for Victoria & Alfred not Victoria & Alberta as many mistakenly believe).   I bought batteries for the camera and found a double Mirriam Makeba CD for a tenner that I was unable to resist.  I declined offers of boat rides declaring that I was not a sailor and had no wish to go to sea.  I did however come across the Nobel Square which sported statues of South African Nobel Prize winners including Mandela and Arch-Bishop Tutu.
  A bit further along I came across an African vocal group singing local rhythms that I stopped to listen to and admire.
  As I exited the harbour area I had time to reflect that the path home was virtually all uphill.  I really could have done with a bath when I got back, but all I could do was thrust my aching feet and legs under the shower.  I got a sandwich on the way home and a beer at the hotel bar and collapsed on my bed to watch three rugby matches and two Premiership football games.  It was frustrating to see Manchester United pull back two late goals against Villa, but a delight to see Martin Johnson's boys put one across the Aussies in style at Twickers.  I bet Robert was thrilled in Sydney - any victory in any sport over the Australians goes down a treat with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment