Wednesday 24 November 2010

EVERTHING'S STILL TUESDAY

Dr Yusuf Dadoo Street



Above three photos in Warwick Junction

  After wandering along the border of the Asian quarter I returned to the People Carrier stop and carried on for another few stops right into the heart of the commercial section which includes Berea Station and is centred on Warwick Junction.  This is one of the most important commercial hubs for the working classes of Durban.  Newly built motorways go over the top of it with the roar of vehicles filling the air.  There is a whole conglomerate of markets linked together.  I set off wandering round Warwick Junction which in parts reminded me of a giant Ealing Road.  I wandered past a shop where the owner invited me in.  As it sold trainers it wasn't of any great interest to me, but the owner engaged me in conversation and asked me to take a picture of him (see above).  He then told me that this wasn't a very safe place to be, especially after dark.  As it was getting on for 4.30pm I bade him farewell and headed for the bus stop.  Drizzle had set in which was progressively getting heavier and heavier, and I was only clad in shorts and a short sleeved shirt.  Sod's law I had to wait about quarter of an hour for a bus.  However a couple of stops further a bunch of women got on complaining bitterly that they had been waiting for three quarters of an hour, so I guess I was reasonably lucky.  The state of the weather did not encourage me to disembark again and I travelled all the way back to the hotel.  I have so far only found one book shop in the whole of Durban, appropriately enough named Adam's Book Store!  Are the majority of Durbanite's illiterate, or do they not like reading?

  I spent the rest of the evening catching up on my posts, re-watching the highlights of Arsenal v Spurs three times and made in roads into my bottle of £3.00 Chardonnay.  I then watched several of the European Cup matches and as a result did not lay the head to rest until well after midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment