Thursday 11 November 2010

POOTLIN' AROUND

Thursday 11th November
  The wi-fi was on the blink at the hotel again last night so I had a mammoth session at Sofia's this morning where they offer free access and caught up with my postings.  It was a nice sunny morning when I set out in my shorts and short sleeved shirt, but by the time I had finished a chilly south east wind was blowing and it had clouded over.  I hastened back to the hotel for a change of clothes - nothing short and a jacket to boot.  Verily it is true what Basil said yesterday that you can exprience all four seasons in one day in Cape Town.  I thought I should go for a long walk as my training had rather fallen by the wayside over the last three days.I also gave up the idea of going on the open bus tour of the city today as the temperature is 18 with 19 forecast for Friday yet on Sunday it is due to be 29!


  I went down past the Holocaust Museum and the Houses of Parliament with an imposing statue of Louis Botha astride a horse outside, and on into a market square where I even found a second hand CD stall.  I refrained from making a purchase, but it is not beyond the realms of possibilty that I shall return! 


  I then wandered around viewing various stalls of African art and the temperature suddenely shot up and the wind dropped.  I took off my jacket and rolled up my sleeves - it was really warm again. I found a massive indoor shopping mall, mainly underground which seemed full of clothing shops, and yet I managed to locate a record shop, where I have to confess I bought an Elvis double CD for around £4.50! Upon exiting in George Street I discovered that the weather had returned to its previous chilly self and the jacket went back on. I then meandered slowly towards Long Street which I duly eventually found and started heading for home.  I called in at a second hand book shop but couldn't decide on a book to purchase, they were certainly cheaper than the new books I had seen so far, so I will probably buy one as the only other book I have I finished yesterday.  With Union Street in view I decided to stop off for some refreshment and treated myself to a pot of Earl Grey and a custard slice.  Remarkably refreshed I strolled on towards the hotel.  I couldn't help but notice that the cloud was so low it completely obscured the upper cable car station on Table Mountain, only the lower one, to which I had walked the other day, was visible.
    After a thorough read of the Cape Times and indulging in the free coffee that is on offer 24 hours a day, I went off to my room, where I wrote a post card to grandaughter Leia (having finally purchased a stamp to go with the postcard of fighting elephants I bought several days ago).  The question now is do I eat in the hotel, wander down Long Street in search of a restaurant, or go to the local supermarket just round the corner where they do takeaway food.  Doubtless all will be revealed tomorrow!

  Having just read Jim's comment stating that his son's father-in-law Trevor (currently in England to see his new grandson) says you can climb Table Mountain to the very top, I have just one thing to say and that is that I have climbed halfway up and that is quite enough for me.  The only way I shall be ascending to the top is by cable car!

1 comment:

  1. Im going to fine you for every cd I find in your case when I get to Adelaide! No room for the tuna in your case.... indeed!!!

    ReplyDelete