Wednesday 25 May 2011

WELLINGTON BOUND

WEDNESDAY 25th MAY

  Woke up this morning to pouring rain, low cloud and bad visibility.  After a cup of coffee I checked out and headed for Picton. I didn't make a good choice in wearing sandals and socks, but my boots were in the car boot.  I got to the departure terminal in Picton about 10.30am and purchased a ferry ticket for self and the car.  The lady in the warm dry office asked me if I was a senior and offered me a discount when I confirmed that I was.  Car plus passenger set me back about 80 quid.  I set off to have a look around Picton as I had over 2 hours until boarding time.  I took a walk up the main street avoiding most of the rain under the canopies, and found a second hand book and record shop.  I invested in a David Baldacci book and a Johnny Cash double CD that amazingly I didn't have.  The combined cost was a tenner.  I went into a Subway cafe and read my book accompanied by a coffee and a beef roll.

                                A wet Picton!
                                Leaving the South Island behind.
    I didn't take any more photos as the conditions were so appalling.  I had some fish and chips, read my book, and worked on checking out the captions for photos in my father's book, this time for Lisa now that Deborah has left Frontline - hopefully it will all be put to bed in the next few days.  The crossing took about 3 hours plus, and it was dark by the time we arrived, having left Picton at 1.45pm.  I set the satnav for Thompson Street and it came up with a page telling me that I would need to use a ferry!  I then realised it still thought it was in Picton!  When I got out of the boat it came up with a map, but remained mutely silent in terms of directions.  Somehow I must have turned the volume down.  I had to try and read the map everytime we stopped at lights, holding my glasses at the ready in anticipation of the next stop.  I managed to work out all the turns and duly got to the Capitol View Motel about 6.30pm.  I have just e-mailed Lisa with all my corrections and I'm about to take a stroll down to the restaurant area down the road.  It doesn't seem to be raining anymore, but it's pretty blowy.  I'm told it's about a 4 hour drive to Napier, my destination for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment