Thursday 26 May 2011

RAINING ALL THE WAY TO NAPIER

THURSDAY 26th MAY

  Got up just after 8.00am and went down stgairs to pay the bill.  It was still raining!  I went down Cuba Street, where I found a very tasty curry last night, as I had spotted some shops in my travels.  Two excellent record shops in one street.  However Real Groovy were closing down and selling off their CDs at $5 and $10 each.  I'm afraid I was tempted!
 Slow Boat Records had a wonderful choice with a large 50s/60s section, but I managed to resist teptation here and istead went for breakfast, before returning to the motel.
I managed to get my New Zealand cutie's voice back on the satnav and set it for Napier, a distance of over 350Km.  It rained all the way, and times ferociously.  The sky was uniformly grey and the cloud low.  I drove through Featherstone, Masterton, Mangatainoka, Woodville, Dannevirke, Waipukurau and Hastings but stopped at none of them.  The journey kind of confirmed to me that all roads in New Zealand either run alongside a railway track or river path or both and there are usually mountains involved!

  I got to the motel in Napier before 3.00pm in all it took me just under 5 hours for the journey.  The owners of the motel are away on their farm and a friend is looking after it.  Not only is it $75 a night but the wifi is completely free.  I also got a card for the local RSL Club that got me a free glass of wine.  It was a self
service roast, I had about eight slices of excellent beef, roast potatoes, peas, beans and corn as well as a couple of puddings topped off with a coffee - all for a tenner!  It was still raining!  Back at the ranch Sky was showing the opening session of the England v Sri Lanka Test Match at Cardiff, and guess what, it was raining!

No comments:

Post a Comment