Friday 20 May 2011

SUNNY DUNEDIN

SATURDAY 21st MAY

  Well the weather is back to the way it was when I arrived at the beginning of the month, albeit there is a bit of a winter chill when out of the sun.  Saddle Hill however is bathed in sunshine.

  I went into town early with Scott and bought a ticket for the coach to Christchurch for tomorrow which leaves at 12.50, getting in at 18.30.  I get off at Hornby and then catch the minibus to the airport.  As the Aarburg Airport Motel is close to the airport, I'm hoping they will be able to drop me off at the front door. Scott then went to his bank to sort some matters out and then we went to Starbucks for a coffee.

  Upon getting back I tried connecting up the printer to my computer, but it wanted all sorts of reference numbers that were totally beyond my ken, so I abandoned the idea, and instead opened up AOL on his computer and accessed my e-mails that way.  I opened up the Cuzco-Puno e-ticket and printed it off as well as the various hotel bookings I had made.  I continued searching for hotels, and booked the Hotel Miraflores in Lima before and after my trip to Quito.  I have entrusted Alex with finding accommodation in Quito.  I also booked the Punuypampa Inn in Puno for a night, and the hotel Cocal in Fortaleza for three weeks for just over £700.  It is situated near the beach, includes breakfast and has free WiFi - it met all the criteria I was looking for (including the price).  I have sent messages to all of these asking if they can arrange transport to pick me up at the airport - we'll see if I get any replies! This just leaves me with the bus from Puno to La Paz which I think I will have to buy when I'm there and a hotel in La Paz for 3 days, which I may yet do before departing Dunedin. I tried ringing the Infinity by Ameristar to try to arrange a pick up at the airport.  But no matter what I dialed I was told told I had dialed an incorrect number.  I then contacted Expedia through whom I had booked the hotel, and told them that they had previously informed me they didn't have an e-mail address for the hotel, but had given me a phone number that I couldn't get through on.  The chap told me he would connect me with the hotel, which eventually he did.  Fortunately the chap at the hotel spoke English albeit he had difficulty hearing me and I had to shout and repeat myself numerous times.  But hopefully he has all the details correct and transport will be there at the airport when I arrive.  Anyway I don't have to ask Jeannette to make the call for me yet, although there could easily be a call for help sometime in June!        Incidentally I learnt somewhere in my travels that the town was going to be called Edinburgh, but instead it got called New Edinburgh which is what Dunedin means - gosh you learn something everyday reading this blog!

  Just I finished reserving my last motel, in Blenheim, Scott arrived back from football.  They won 6-3 against the University in an ill tempered affair, in which Scott should have been sent off, according to his own testimony, but got away with it.  Andy, Penny & Rob's eldest son played his last game before going away to Melbourne and tonight was his  farewell do.  I made the mistake of going!  It started at the club, where fortunately Hughie was not present, and six pints later we went to somebody's house for the party and eventually finished up in a pub.  I've no idea what time we got back in and it probably wan't the best preparation for a six hour drive in a coach to Dunedin, but what the hell!  I went out in style!
 Scott in his Rangers top with Andy, the man departing for Melbourne.
                               The history of the Roslyn Wakari Football Club.
   A sign that it was time to go!  So off we went somwhere to carry on the celebrations, which took the odd turn.

                               A bonnie wee lassie by the name of Scottie!
                                How and when we got home I dinnae not know!

No comments:

Post a Comment