Saturday 14 May 2011

CHILL OUT WEEKEND Pt 1

SATURDAY 14th MAY

  Well you never know with the weather!  It was a beautiful if crisp day today sunshine all the way, not a cloud in the sky.  Scott had any early kick off today so we had to be at the ground for 12.30pm.  They were playing Dunedin Tech and tradionally these matches have been played with a howling gale blowing and rain hammering down.  The pitch is very close to the sea so I guess that contributes to it.  However it was comletely different today, sunshine all the way and hardly a breath of wind.  Roslyn Wakiri won 5-1 and it could easily have been 12-1!

  After the game we headed back to the home clubhouse, which means an early start at the bar.  It gave me plenty of time to read about the history of the club and find out that it is the second eldest in the land, and that only by a few weeks.  They moved to their current location in 1970, and it is in a beautifully located situation.

  Eventually all the other teams trickled in and put up their scores.  It was looking good, the first team won 10-0, another team won 3-1, in fact the first four teams to register their score all won.  Apparently if all nine teams win, the club president pays for an open bar!  However this dream was shot to pieces when the fifth result went up and in fact the remaining five teams all lost!

  I got into conversation with the goalkeeper, Hughie (Hewi, Hewie?), a man from Donegal some 50 years of age who had to go off before half time because a knock to his thigh.  It didn't affect his drinking and his raucous laughter could be heard consistently as he held a bottle of VB in each hand, which often needed replenishing.  I got to talking about having played rugby and he promptly offered to take me to see Zingaree after next Saturday's football.  What or where that is I have no idea, but somehow I think I'll have to give football a miss next Saturday as I'll be traveling up to Christchurch next Sunday and I think it would be a good idea if that were sans hangover!

  Scott then drove us (he had been on Coke and only had two beers) to the Indian Restaurant in town where we got an excellent take-away as well as stocking up with beers at the supermarket.  We then settled in to watch the two Rugby League games on the box and saw Canberra Raiders beat Melbourne Storm for the first time in years and register their first victory of the season.  Then came the Rabbitoahs (South Sydney) vs West Tigers (Sydney).  The Tigers were 27-0 down by half time and were a complete shambles.  They improved in the second half and notched up 18 points, but it was nowhere near enough.  Every time I watch the Tigers they seem to lose!  I then retired to my bedroom and checked my e-mails.  I received one from Peter telling me he had found an official document in Tarnopol stating that my mother was the owner of Swirz in 1939, and attached a copy.  As it was all in the cyrillic alphabet it didn't mean too much to me, but should be a clincher in the appeal that is going on at present in my claim for compensation.  At this point Alan came on Skype having noticed that I was on line - I'm usually on line when WiFi is available.  After a chat with Alan, who informed me that he and Jim think I'm going bald, to which I replied that this was not the case, but simply my hair being cut very short (by Robert), which merely accentuates my previous loss of hair, I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment