Thursday 26 May 2011

SUNSHINE & ROTORUA

FRIDAY 27th MAY

  Woke up this morning to something I haven't seen for a while, sunshine!  Set off from Napier for Rotorua about 9.30am.  Not quite such a long journey today, somewhere around 250Km.  I missed a petrol station driving out of Napier and some time later I saw a sign that stated next petrol 130Km!  My theory about roads, rivers railway lines and mountains seemed to hold again on this leg.  However the first half of the journey was all twists and turns, ne'er a straight bit of road.  This does of course slow progress down a bit but gives one a chances to look at the scenery.  As can be seen the weather changed from blue skies to grey
 and back again.  There was only the occasional squall but no persistent downpours like yesterday.
 I then came to Taupo which lies on the lake of the same name. It looks by far and away the biggest lake on the North Island and my road ran along what I think was called the Two Mile Shore.  I grabbed a breath of
fresh before carrying on with my journey.  Although there were tempting cafes, I decided not to eat until I got to Rotorua.  Not far outside Taupo in Wairakei I saw a sign for the "Craters Of The Moon" 1.7KM.  I decided to follow the signs and finally arrived at the entrance to this area of thermal activity.  It cost $6 (£3) to get a ticket to walk around this unique area and view the spouting steam coming out of the ground, the bubbling mud, and a crater where there was last an erruption in 1983.  The circular walk took about 45 minutes and was well worth taking the time out to do.
 The pathways were set out with raised planking with strict instructions not to stray from the path as serious burns could result, and had resulted in the past when people ignored the warnings!
                                 The bubbling, boiling mud pool.
 The vegetation has to adapt to survive in the hot acidic earth that comprise these bubbling fields.
A very interesting visit.  I purchased a postcard at the office to add to my collection and set off to cover the remaining 90 or so Km to Rotorua.  I arrived at the Accoldae Motel around 2.30pm and chatted to the owener and signed up for the Maori night tonight which includes dinner.  He also gave me direction for the Polynesian Spa.  I went down there and ascertained that they open at 8.00am, the prices and the fact that it was a Father Mahoney who discovered the curative properties of the spa water.  I will give it a go tomorrow.
                                That's my white Subaru outside no6!
The bus duly picked me up at 5.45pm and took me to the Mitai Maori Village. It is run by an extended Maori family who keep ap all the Maori traditions and turned their 12 acre property into a true tribal village.  We were all seated in the dinning area whilst our Maori host attempted to discover how many different nationalities were present.  He made it twelve with New Zealanders, Aussies, English, Americans, Dutch, Polish, Russian, South Korean, Hong Kong, Japanese being amongst those there.  I've got to give it to him he managed a word or two in all twelve languages and held a conversation in some!  He then took us out to see how our Hangi dinner was being cooked in the traditional manner under ground.
                               Our grub is uncovered for us to see.
 We then went to see a traditional Maori warriors canoe come by, but the lighting wasn't good enough to get a really good shot.  We then went for a performance by the whole extended Maori family that lasted               well over half an hour, showing their dances, songs, weapons, training, traditions and greetings culminating with their famous HaKa.  I managed to catch it all on video, didn't even try photos.
We then returned to the dinning area for the meal.  It was help your self to as much as you want with chicken and lamb, potatoes, sweet potatoes, salads, rice, cauliflower, creamed potatoes, and gravy.  It was dee-lish-cious.  There was then a choice of three puddings!  After that it was over to the adjoining Rainbow Springs Kiwi Wildlife Park.  There I saw my first Kiwis running around behind fencing.  Photos were not allowed and we were asked to keep quiet not to stress the birds.  In fact kiwi birds can be scientifically be considered to be mamals as they have two ovaries, have marrow in their bones and a body temperature of 38 degrees.  We also saw glow worms, eels, trout, tuataras as well all the native vegitation.  Got home about 10.00pm at which point I immediately set about updating the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment