Monday 23 May 2011

HEADING WEST - GREYMOUTH

  I got up at 8.00am, as I saw no point in continuing the agony that was lying on this bed in my current condition.  I had a shave and a cup of coffee and phoned Ace Rentals and gave them my location.  They said that the van would be over in 5-10 minutes to pick me up.  And true to their word that is what happened.  My back was so dire I couldn't load my suitcase into the van, but the healthy New Zealand female driver made short work of it.  I picked up my Subaru and and a satnav and set it for 350 Main South Street, Greymouth and followed the instructions.  Soon I was on the Alpine Highway.  The conditions were heavily overcast if not also foggy.  The landscape as always imposing.
  At the end of a large valley came McArthur's Pass.  This was the most daunting drive of my entire trip.  Low cloud reduced the visibility to about 10metres and the road was full of hairpin bends, rising fast and then falling away on the other side.  For about half an hour I had to grit my death and concentrate like hell.  I had a car following me, which was a cunning move as he relied on me as a path finder.  I eventually came to the Charles Court Motel on the outskirts of Greymouth, or to be more precise in on the edge of Paroa.  Thankfully there is a large double bed with electric blanket, and Sky TV.  I watched Aston Villa v Liverpool and learnt of Ancellotti's sacking.  Well Spurs made it into Europe - just!  I also took a couple of pain killers, and I'm glad to say that the back is now much better.

  I drove into Greymouth and had something to eat - poached eggs on toast with bacon and tomatoes.  My first sustenance of the day at about 3.30pm.  I had a look around the town, not that there was that much to see, but the approach into the town from the other end was quite picturesque.
There is a restaurant just down the road, and I'm off for my evening meal, feeling a lot chirpier than I did this morning!  Well I had a nice steak with salad and chips all washed down by a pint of local beer.  However the bar/restaurant showed all signs of closing up shop at 8.30pm - I was the only person left in the restaurant although there were a couple of bods in the bar.  I think I have just about timed it right to see the Monday night NRL match between the Parramatta Eels v Sharks, so over and out>

No comments:

Post a Comment