Friday 27 May 2011

HEADING FOR HAMILTON

SATURDAY 28th MAY


  Probably the easiest leg of the journey, a bare 106Km to Hamilton. I exchaned messages with Alex who is currently in Columbia and briefly had access to WiFi.  We made arrangement for our meeting in Quito.  I partook of the continental breakfast on offer at the motel, and then drove down to the Polynesian Spa about 9.45am.  I bought a ticket for the Priest's Spa.  In fact when you go through there are seven pools.  After some enquiries I elicited the fact that there were three new Priest's Spas opened in 2003.  One is at 38 degrees, one at 41 and the third at 42.  These are acidic and are good for arthritis, back pains and muscular pains.  The good Father Mahoney as I mentioned previously discovered that when he dipped his arthritic hand (he was a chronic arthritis sufferer) in the waters it cured his affliction.  This was in 1878, and by the early '80s baths were opened to cater for the public.  In 1931 tiled baths were built.  They are no longer used and lie in the middle of the complex and
remain for historic interest.  The new Priest Spas were opened in 2003. On the right hand side are the alkali spas, again three of them - I tried them briefly but as their role is enchancing the skin, I didn't think they would do much for me and spent the bulk of my time in the 42 degree acidic spa, which lies closest to the lake.  Steam can be seen rising from parts of it.
So in the bulk of these spa baths you are actually sitting out in the open air.  Just as well it didn't rain!
 Above is the coolest of the acidic spas, whilst below a quick dip in the alkali bath to complete the session.
  I set off for Hamilton about 12.30pm, certainly feeling nice and warm.  Whether it has done my back any good only time will tell.  It was a pretty easy run, the road was much better than on previous stretches and I arrived at the Colonial City Motel before 2.00pm.  The building is an impressive historic homestead.
  The large LED TV screen is set up to be viewed from bed, so I laid back to watch the cricket highlights from yesterday, and then nodded off for about half an hour.  The room folder made mention of a variety of restaurants in Victoria Street.  I had a choice of five directions to head in, but followed my nose straight to Victoria Street.  After a beer in a bar I opted for an Indian Rstaurant.  It was a good choice and the food was excellent and the portion massive - I only just managed to finish it.  Then it was back to the motel for Saturday night sport and a bit of work for Charly.

No comments:

Post a Comment