Thursday 10 March 2011

MAN IN MANLEY

THURSDAY 10th MARCH

  A good start to the day as I watched Spurs draw 0-0 with AC Milan and go through into the quarter finals of the European Cup.  I took Reilly for a long walk as I knew I wouldn't be back to take him for a second one later.  A bit of a bath and read, then I checked out my e-mails and discovered I was friends with Charlie Gracie Jr, who amazingly remembered my article in New Kommotion in 1979 on his father, Gene Summers who asked what had been happening to me over all the intervening years, as well as Mac Curtis, Johnny Powers and Ian Wallis.  There were also a couple of guys whose names I can't remember but they knew of me through my sleeve notes.

  I then set off to catch a bus to Mount Druitt, which I successfully managed to do and only had a ten minute wait at the bus stop.  On arriving at my destination I noticed a train pulling out of the station heading townwards, so I went to explore the shopping centre which is fairly immense.  I found a JB Hi-Fi shop and invested in a Shirley Bassey Singles CD for $8.00, and then got slightly lost trying to find the station again.  However I eventually got my bearings and bought the old Senior Day Concession ticket for $2.50 and caught a train into town.  Just one change at Wynyard saw me through to Central Quay.  There I found the

Manly Ferry at pier 3, and one was leaving at 2.30pm in about 15 minutes time.  I quite accidentally stood around waiting at a spot that saw me as one of the first people to board the boat, the Fresh Water, so I got

  a good seat at the front.  The ferry took about 25 minutes to get to Manly, during which time I continued reading David Baldacci's Divine Justice.  On the walk down to the seafront I noticed that a cheap DVD/CD shop that had been there last time was gone, but the New Zealand Ice Cream shop was still there. I indulged in a Berry Smoothie which went down a treated.

  The temperature was in the upper 20s out West but I reckon it was about 24/25 in Manly despite the skies being overcast and no hint of sun.  There were quite a few people bathing in the sea, and I sat down and breathed in the ozone.
  I phoned Robert and told him I would go straight to Carlingford and meet him there, and caught the 4.15 ferry back to Central Quay.  I poked my head out of the window when we docked snapping the Harbour Bridge.


  My train connections went extremely smoothly and I got to Carlingford station just around 6.00pm, exactly the time Robert expected to arrive there.  However when I arrived at Jane's place there was no sign of either her car or Robert's.  I phoned Robert up but just got his voicemail, and the same happened when I phoned Jane.  I found a bench to sit on and carried on reading my book.  I received a text message from Rob telling me that Jane wouldn't be home until 7.00pm, so I phoned him up and told him I would go round to the Empress of China and have a spot of grub.  I had some garlic beef on rice washed down with a VB, and as I walked back Rob was just turning in off the main road.

  Jane went off to her yoga classes and we were left with Nick to look after.  He had partaken in a cross country race at school today and came in 13th out of 80, which isn't bad at all.  Robert insisted that he had a bath, which elicited cries of , "But I had a bath yesterday!".  Robert explained that yesterday's bath would have had little effect on the dirt and sweat accumulated on the cross country run.  I was despatched to get some Carlton beer for Robert and salt and vinegar crisps for Nick, but prior to leaving I came in with a beaker telling Nick I had some thing for him,  He screamed,  "No! no!", and when I made to throw the beaker over him he visibly flinched, however the beaker was empty.  "I got you there!", I cried and left.  I made the error of getting sea salt and vinegar crisps which Nick turned his nose up at saying he didn't like sea salt.  As there weren't any other crisps in the shop that was just tough luck on him.  We had fun playing indoor football - I seemingly lost to both Robert and Nick, although at one point I thought I had won one of the games, however there was some extremely biased refereeing with yellow and red cards flashing around like lights on a Christmas tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment