Thursday 31 March 2011

HORNSBY

THURSDAY 31st MARCH

  I got up about 6.30am to go to the loo and encountered Jeannette getting ready for work.  I returned to bed fairly promptly after emptying my bladder, and woke up a couple of hours later to the sound of clanking spanners.  I got up post haste, and went out to find the car jacked up and the mechanic working underneath.  After overcoming a problem with a faulty earth connection, the mechanic completed his work around 10.30am, and I paid the bill, half on Bridie's card and half on mine - we certainly timed our visit well!

  I texted Bridie with the information that I was on my way.  As it costs her 2E to receive Australian calls, speech has been saved for dire emergencies only.  I was given coffee and toast upon my arrival in Eastwood, and suitably replete, we set off for Hornsby.  There was 3 hours free parking at the Westfield Shopping Centre, which we utilised in almost its entirety.  Bridie and Angela found much to sustain their interest in Myers, and eventually made some purchases.  We then went for a luncheon snack in the Food Hall, after which I directed the ladies to David Jones store whilst I adjourned to JB HiFi.  I found a Peter & Gordon Australian compilation for $5.99, and that was my solo purchase of this particular shopping trip.  Robert phoned to say that Nick's training had been cancelled and Jane wasn't going to yoga.  I told him we would pick him up from work at 5pm.

  We drove back to Oakhurst calling in at Plumpton enroute to post Bridie and Angela's postcards and buy some chews for Reilly.  I was short changed by the cashier by $5 and had to forceably argue my case with the supervisor, who initially wanted to refund me $2, until I pointed out that I had paid with a $10 note but had been given change for a $5 note.  Damn youth of today can't count!

  After a rest and a cup of tea we tried out Robert's car by going to the pub.  Jeannette had gone to Penrith to see her father. Both Bridie and Angela opted for the beer battered barramundi, chips and salad, whilst I asked for the garlic prawn chile sizzler.  I asked for it as the main course option, but instead got the smaller starter option!  It seems these ruddy Aussies have as much difficulty in understanding my dulcet tones as I do in understanding their form of English!  Anyway a donation of chips, a piece of barramundi and the bulk of Bridie's salad turned my plate into a full sized meal.

  Jeannette was home when we got back and said that her parents were very keen to meet Bridie and Angela.  I could make some comment about people not knowing when they are well off - but I won't as it might get a Chile reception!  Anyway I drove the two of them home and returned home cursing the roadworks on the M7 that reduced the speed limit to 40kph.

No comments:

Post a Comment