Sunday 6 March 2011

FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL & FOOTBALL

SUNDAY 6th MARCH

  Yet another early start - I got up at 7.30am and had a cup of coffee and some bread and marmalade whilst waiting for Robert to rise, and we got away soon after 8.00am.  It was a nice sunny morning and Robert assured me I wouldn't need my jumper today.  I left it behind but retained the rest of yesterday's clothing. At Carlingford Court all was quiet - seemingly everybody was asleep or not stirring.  Eventually Nick opened the door.  After some persuasive instructions from his father Nick donned his football kit and we drove over to Mobbs Lane in Eastwood for the training matches against another club.  It ended with a 5-3 win for the
Tiger's Under 9 "A" team. We stayed on to watch the "B" team as a couple of Nick's friends were playing in that.  I had previously turned down the folding seat that Robert had offered me, but after standing for the the whole of the "A" Team match, I bagged it for the second game and let Rob sit on the grass with nick.
  That gave the Tiger's their second win of the day, and Robert was approached by the club president to coach the "C" team, but declined the offer, but I gather has the role of assistant coach.  The next training is on Tuesday night, just after the basketball training which takes place straight after school.  What a busy life these sportsmen lead nowadays!  We left just as the third match was starting and went to the Carlingford Shopping Centre for lunch where Nick had Kentucky Fried Chicken nuggets and chips, and Rob a burger of some kind whilst I went for a salami toasted focaccia sandwich.  Jane was able to nurse her cold in our absence and when we returned 'Pa was cleaning out Jane's car that had all sorts of clothes, sports kit, school uniform and uneaten lunch packs in it.  A lot went in the bin, some returned to the car (Jane gave instructions from the balcony), and I eventually brought a load of clothes to wash upstairs.  Doug left for home as he was expecting his son Simon to call in.

  Nick was unable to persuade his father to go to the park, and suggested that Grandad would take him.  Nick initially negated this suggestion, but when the threat of having to do his homework hovered over him, he changed his mind.  We were out there for over an hour, and I was reminded of muscles I had forgotten I had as we took turns to be in goal whilst the other took shots.  Nick made some excellent saves, and I even managed a few myself.



  I managed to hang until Nick made the suggestion that we go home, but suggested going via the newsagents.  Sadly for him the shop was closed.  Undaunted he led me to the bottle shop where he found a packet of crisps to his liking which naturally I bought him.  On the way home we called in at the exotic fish shop and inspected all the aquaria and the fish therein.  I was pleased Nick didn't suggest I bought him any of them as I noticed that some were marked up at £49.00 each!  Anyway pet fish wouldn't last long with Jingles around!

  By the time we got back to Oakhurst most of my muscles had stiffened up in protest, and I decided to have a soak in a hot bath.  I must admit it helped, and I felt sufficiently fit to take Reilly out for a walk.  However I had to have a harsh word with him as he had carried out the sleeping matress I bought him yesterday into the garden (just as Robert had forecast).  He got a stern ticking off and was banished from the summerhouse for a couple of hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment