Friday 11 March 2011

CREDIT CARDS ARRIVE!

SATURDAY 12th MARCH

  I was up at 7.15am and got dressed and waited in the sittingroom for Robert to arise.  His alarm went off at 7.30am, was quickly switched off and the curtains, which had been ajar, were drawn.  I knew all this as his bedroom door was wide open.  Last weekend when he failed to stir at the appointed time, I gently knocked on his bedroom door, but was promptly told to "Go away".  I didn't commit the same mistake again!  Eventually Robert appeared about 7.45am and we set off for Beecroft.  The game had started when we arrived although Nick wasn't on the court yet.  He soon came on as a sub, did some lightning runs down the wings, tackled back well and I was glad to see that he was jostling the opposition players and not at all intimidated by them.  There was no score for some time but eventually one of Nick's runs resulted in a pass to a colleague who scored.  Arden won 9-2 making it four straight wins in a row.

  Afterwards Nick and some of his friends went to practise at an adjoining covered court.  Rob and one of the fathers joined in and it was the two adults against four of the boys.  I sat on the sidelines nursing my injuries, keen not to re-open my wounds!  Nick was then invited over to his friend Ryan.  As he came over I noticed the sweat dripping down Nick's neck and said to him that he was all wet.  He replied that he wasn't that it was sweat, to which I countered that sweat is wet.  (Nick seems to relish having a good argument with his grandfather!).  At this point Robert tipped a water bottle over my head proclaiming that that was wet!  I had worn a long sleeved shirt as I wasn't sure what it was going to be like after last night's weather, but by this stage it was approaching 30 degrees and pretty warm.  I remained seated and let the water dribble down over me.

  We drove over to the gaff in Eastwood, and lo and behold my new credit cards from Lloyds were there!  It had only taken from the 22nd February, when Mark had posted them, to reach me.  I'd said that if they didn't reach me by the weekend I would report them stolen and get new ones sent which should have arrived in time for Angela to bring them out.  However that is all now by the by.  Robert told me he was going over to see Pav in Epping and would be back in an hour.  I told him I would walk down to town and wait for him at Bo Jo's cafe.  Having bought a paper and read it from cover to cover and paid for my meal - I was charged $12.30 although I had made it $9.00 but paid without arguing.  As I was sitting reading the TV Guide (that was all I hadn't read), the waitress came out (I was sitting outside) and told me she had overcharged me and refunded the $3.30.  Eventually after about 2 hours I gave up and phoned Robert to learn that he was in the Epping with Pav.  He told me he'd be over in about half an hour.  I told him to stay where he was and I'd catch a train to Epping.  This I did and found the second hand book shop Robert had told me about and found one of the two Baldacci books I'm looking for, Stone Cold.

  I then went to the Epping and could find no sign of him there.  I rang again and he said he would come out to me.  I waited some considerable time and was actually in the throes of ringing him again when he appeared.  Apparently he had accompanied Pav to the Pokies, which was why I failed to find him.  The odd thing was I had looked in the Pokies, but possibly not in the smoking area.  We had a beer and Rob texted Jeannette asking if he could be excused going to Penrith for Dennis' 18th birthday, and much to his surprise he got the thumbs up.

  After returning to Oakhurst I checked out Robert's car as he was complaining of a problem with the nearside front wheel.  I had just started jacking it up when I thought I would check the shock absorbers - the nearside one was locked solid.  The problem now is how to get it sorted when Robert needs the car to get to work and apparently local tyre stores don't open on a Sunday around here.  Jeannette returned from Penrith not long afterwards.

 Anyway I took Reilly for his daily exercise, and upon my return we drove off to the Plumpton Hotel for a spot of dinner.

The portions were fairly sumptuous - I had a steak with oysters, which wasn't bad. Robert
and Jeannette's plates were brimming over with food.  The meal was eaten to the accompaniment of a karaoke evening emmanating from the bar next door.  It was all pretty dire apart from a woman who sang an excellent version of Solitaire, so much so that Robert was moved to get up and go and have a look at her.  He came back disappointed saying she was pretty ugly - another case of the Susan Boyles.

  We decided to leave shortly afterwards, but apparently it was going to be via the adjoining bottle shop.  Robert was more than surprised at the prices - a couple of bottles of :
for $10.00 was superb value at $5.00 a bottle.  Anyway we came away with four bottles of wine and a casket of beers.  The security man came over and told Robert he would give him a free glass to go with the beers.  He then brought over a wine bag that had a capacity of two bottles for Jeannette and finally pulled out a small wallet/card holder for me.  Robert assured him he would be back again!

No comments:

Post a Comment