Sunday 30 January 2011

TEMPERATURE RISING

SUNDAY 30th JANUARY

  I just realised that I have been away for just over three months, so a third through the epic journey.  I got through on the Skype land line to Jim only to discover that he is in bed with a touch of flu.  Unfortunately the line went down in the middle of our conversation.  The temperature rose to 35 degrees during the day, and I only ventured out twice during the day, once to take Reilly for a walk in the morning and the second time with Rob to replenish the beer stocks.  I got a banana milkshake in the shopping centre but it wasn't what I was expecting.  Apparently I should have asked for a thick shake!

  I spent most of the day e-mailing all the photos I had of my father with me to a chap Dr Bartlomiej Bydon from the Army Centre For The Education Of Civilians who told me that they are planning to have an exhibition on my father and asked if I could send him some photos.  This I did in batches of four pictures with as detailed a description in Polish as I could manage.  All in all I sent him over 60 photos. 

                                  In the Austrian Army 1916 - T.K. on the right

                         In Polish Army - shaking hands with wife Irena behind him

                             Colonel Komorowski charcoal drawing by wife Irena

                                   Tadeusz and Irena outside the entrance at Swirz

                                  20th Anniversary of the 9th Uhlan Regiment

                                              First Christmas in the UK - 1945

                                 Tadeusz and Irena in back garden, Wembley 1958

                             Brzezynski laying a wreath at State Funeral in July 1994
However I did not have all the photos with me, for instance the one of him riding in the 1924 Olympics in Paris and the one where he is waiting to be presented to Adolph Hitler at the Berlin Olympics in 1936.  I wrote to Peter in Warsaw as I'm fairly sure he has them and a few others asking him to send them on to the good Doctor.  I've had a reply from Peter confirming that this will be done.

  Afterwards I watched the Aussies win the one day series with a fairly comprehensive victory, the only good part being the last wicket stand between Anderson and Finn.  I also saw Jokovic demolish Andy Murray in the final of the Australian Open, so all in all not the best of days for the Northern Hemisphere! I sat outside in summerhouse and the temperature dropped quite substancially as the night wore on, so much so that I had to don some extra clothing.


However the two R's both seemed happy with the lower temperature.


 I received an e-mail today informing me that it is Michael Hallinan's birthday this week, so in case you haven't seen my comments on Facebook, Happy Birthday Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment