Sunday 2 January 2011

1-1-11 - BIRTHDAY BOY

SATURDAY 1st JANUARY

  It was an extremely hot night and Alan switched on the a/c in the bedroom.  He and I were up first and I had a quick shower and completed my packing.   Al made coffee and toast, which we consumed before Maureen came down.  I borrowed a Ngaio Marsh book and read a bit before it was time to depart.  Maureen and Alan drove me up to the airport and dropped me off at the Domestic Terminal.  I walked in and there were crowds everywhere.  I queued for the Self Check-in machines until I spotted one further on that was free.  I entered my name and destination and the screen informed me that I had no booking.  I was about to panic when I noticed that the Check-in Terminals stated "Virgin".  As I was flying with Qantas this explained the blip.  I asked an airport official where the Qantas Check-in was to be found and was informed that it was in the next terminal.  When I eventually got there, I successfully checked in and for once the departure gate (Gate 1) was the nearest one.

  I was the third person to board having got a seat in the departure lounge close to the entrance.  To my disgust I found my seat was in the middle of the three seats in the centre of the plane.  They served quish and coffee on the flight and that plus Ngaio Marsh helped pass the flight time pretty quickly.  The plane landed some 10 minutes early.  Again the disembarkment gate was close to the airport exit so I was outside pretty quickly. My rendezvous with Robert worked to a tee, and I was soon Eastwood bound.  Rob dropped me off and went to take Nick to see Gullivers Travels.  In the meantime I unpacked, caught up with my e-mails and updated the blog.

  After Robert's return we decided to go to Epping for a meal to celebrate his 38th birthday.  In the end our choice was limited by the number of restaurants open. 

We settled on Gwen's Chinese restaurant, bringing our own wine.  It is an old established emporium and the food was excellent.  After spring roll starters I opted for seafood Pad Thai and Robert had noodles with curried chicken and spices.  The portions were ample but in the end I was tempted by a deep fried ice cream.  Afterwards we retired to the Eastwood for a few beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment