Monday 7 February 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JANE

MONDAY 7th FEBRUARY

  With the temperatures having fallen drastically yesterday afternoon, I tucked in under the bedclothes when I went to bed but couldn't get off to sleep at all, and when I did kept on waking during the night.  No such problems when it was hotter!

  It was an early start to the day - I was awake at 6.30am and we left at 7.00am.  Robert dropped me off at Mount Druitt where I caught a train going to Strathfield just as soon as I got to the platform.  It was virtually empty and I took a window seat.  The carriage soon started filling up but the seat next to me was the last to be filled, so I had the seat all to myself for three quarters of the journey.  (Nobody whisphered "B.O." to me so I assumed it was just coincidence that my adjoining seat remained vacant for so long!). When I alighted I spotted that the train on the adjoining platform was bound for Epping so quickly jumped on it.  It was only when the train had moved off I realised that it was the Newcastle train and the first stop was Epping.  Never mind - it got to Epping in about 5 minutes and I only had an 8 minute wait for a train back to Eastwood.  I caught the 545 bus home and unpacked my bag, had a shave, watched a couple of episodes of Spooks and wandered down to Eastwood where I indulged in a brunch at Bo Jo's along with a pot of tea, and then bought some essentials like milk, bread and cheese and walked back to the residence.

  I spent a couple of hours working on the 1961 hits until Robert arrived and we went off to watch Nick play in the indoor final at Epping.  The game was against their biggest rivals whom theTigers had beaten 5-4 last year after being 1-4 down at half time. This time they were 1-2 down at half time, but there was to be no brilliant come back in the second half this time.  The two first half goals conceded in the first half consisted of a score direct from a free kick for a foul tackle that looked perfectly fair to me (the referee was a female - nuff said!), the second was a clearance from a defender that riccocheted from an attacker straight into the goal - so two pretty unlucky goals.  The least said about the third goal the better, it was just one of those lapses by the second half goalie, Tom who let a gentle ball go through his hands and through his legs and gently dribble into the goal.  It has to be said that he scored a superb header in the first half.  I saw Robert stamp his feet at the end of the match, which was good, nobody likes losing.  He played well in flashes, but also seemed to lose interest in patches and turn his back on the game.  I would like to see 100% commitment to the game from him not just 75%, because he certainly has the skill.

  After the game the players were given their awards, both losers and winners.  The Tigers then went outside

for a debrief and to have their photos taken.


And of course it was the assistant coach's (today promoted to coach) birthday.  Yes it was Jane's 40th as Nick was quick to tell everyone - now that he has announced the news far and wide I feel no need to be coy about announcing it here!  There were some presents and a cake with one candle lit which Jane blew out with nick's aid.  She had her photo taken with the team - unfortunately my camera had run out of space on the card and by the time I deleted some old pics they had virtually dispersed, well not totally.

With the players all going home we headed for Carlingford where "Auntie Crock" (Lisa Crocker - Jane's old friend) was waiting for us, and we went round to the Chinese restaurant around the corner.


The portions were so large I came away with a doggie bag and tomorrow's lunch is all taken care of!

No comments:

Post a Comment