Thursday 30 June 2011

THE ANDEAN EXPLORER

WEDNESDAY 29th JUNE

   Well the cab arrived on time and I showed the driver by train ticket, he nodded his head and we shot off in completely the opposite direction we had arrived from last night.  I thought I'd better check and make sure that he was going to the train station and not the bus station.  He nodded yes.  In no time at all we were at a train station right in the middle of town.  A porter came up and asked what luggage I would like to check in, and promptly relieved me of it.  In the waiting area, resplendent with armchairs, a Peruvian Folk group entertained the passengers until it was time to board the train.

  Once aboard it was time to study the breakfast menu and place an order.  The observation carriage was at the rear of the train and gave great views in all directions.
   Mid morning we were all invited to the observation carriage for a fashion display, a performance by a Peruvian Folk Band and Pisko Sours, an offer not lightly to be refused!

I certainly didn't buy any of the knitwear but there was plenty to admire about the models!
The folk group went down well, providing good entertainment.
 The train ran along side the road at times at others alongside the river, whilst at other times it went straight down the main street of towns and hamlets.  The kids would rush out and wave (we only spotted one teenager giving us the finger).  Other kids put the ear to the rail to listen to the sound of the wheels.
                                     
 
A local derby elicits more interest than the passing train!
I ordered a Pisco Sour appetiser before lunch which slid down smoothly and then embarked on the 3 course lunch which was certainly up to 4/5* standard.  It seemed appropriate to have a bit of a snooze after lunch, especially as the meal came with a complimentary glass of wine.  It was sufficiently warm to shed my to top layers of clothing. The landscape changed periodically and we moved on to the midpoint of the journey where engines were changed.  We came across various livestock including llamas, alpacas and yamas.
At La Raya, which is a 178KM out from Cusco and an altitude of 4313 metres, there is a little church and a local market stall.  Quite a few people got off and inspected the goods on offer and made purchases.  It was apparently freezing cold out there.  This is the highest point of the entire journey.  I stayed put in the nice warm carriage!  Watching out through the window was quite adequate for me.  In the late afternoon we are served champagne and pineapple juice followed by sandwiches and tea.
Coming into Juliana the train rolls down the main street with just about any kind of scrap metal item available.  It is the centre of commerce in the area and some 338Km from Puno.

A further 42Km sees us into Puno by which time has fallen. We are at our journey's end.  We wait for our luggage to be unloaded and are then asked to go and collect it.  As I struggle with all the load, I spotted the train manager and asked him where I could get a taxi.  He pointed to an attractive looking middle aged lady and asked go to her, I fully trust her.  She immediately got hold of a cab and joined me in it.  I took the opportunity to ask her where I could buy coach tickets for La Paz.  She said she could do that for me.  We got off at the hotel, I checked in, and my woman, Eva by name was waiting for me.  She asked me if I would be interested in a trip to the floating islands on Lake Titikaka tomorrow morning and to some ancient toombs in the afternoon.  She told me I would be picked up for all three events from the hotel.  I paid over the 160 n.sole and wondered if I was being taken for a ride, but if I was it was only for about £35.00 and Eva was very nice.  I shall have the answer to my question in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment