Sunday 12 June 2011

EASTER ISLAND TO LIMA

SATURDAY 11th JUNE

  Got up about 8.30 and went for breakfast.  Sergio wasn't around - they had a bit of a party last night in the private quarters and the waitress said he was still asleep.  I asked if somebody would be able to run me to the airport at 12.00 and she assured me "Si". The car hire man Juan hadn't arrived by 10.00am so I decided to drive the car down to him.  Bad move!  I ran into a student demonstration of some kind that seemed to have half the town following in their cars and blazing their horns.  I couldn't get out on to the main road for some time and when I did I had to follow the crowds moving along at a snail's pace.  Eventually I got there but Juan wasn't there.  The girl at the shop phoned him to ask where my credtcard voucher was so it could be returned to me.  Turned out he had it on him.  I was assured he would only be five minutes getting over to me.  With voucher safely in my pocket, I headed for the LAN office to check if my baggage would go straight through to Lima.  There were only two people in front of me with two LAN staff in attendance.  However I had to wait 20 minutes to get seen.  Yes, my luggage would go straight through to Lima, and they could print the boarding card there in their offices, but I should be getting to the airport now!  I dashed off back to the hotel.  10 yards out I tripped on a protruding stone and went flying.  My left sock started turning a deep shade of red around the big toe, my middle right finger felt very sore - I think maybe it's cracked - and it has gone black with bruising.  Also my right knee was a tad sore.

  The good new was that Sergio was up and ready to take me to the airport. I put on my boots over my bleeding sock, not really wishing to see what was underneath!  I bade Paul farewell, and it was up up and away.  As it turned out the flight was half an hour late so there had been no need to rush, in fact I had time for a toasted sandwich and a coffee at the airport. 
                               Farewell to Easter Island
  It was a four hour flight to Santiago, and once there I followed signs for transfer passangers which ultimately led me to a locked door and I had to retrace my footsteps.  By this time I was puffing as the time between flights was tight, but I got there in the end in time.  A further flight of over three hours got us to Lima at midnight.  I was near the front of the plane so got off quickly and my luggage came through fairly promptly so I was through and out in no time.  There was a vast crowd milling about outside with masses of placards with various names on them.  I found a couple of "Adams" but no "Komorowski".  Not what you hope for at midnight, and especially as I had sent an e-mail to the hotel confirming my arrival that very morning!  I made the rounds again, and again and again, but nothing in the way of "Komorowski" was in evidence.  One final look, I decided.  And, yes, there it was "Adam Komorowski"!  I waved to the guy furiously and he pointed me to the exit.  It was quite a long drive along the Pacific shore to the hotel and extremely good value for $20 US.  (I had in the meantime asked a cab company how much it would be to Miraflores and was quoted $46!).  I booked the fellow to take me to the airport on Monday.  Hotel is excellent, cooked breakfast included, free WiFi and a bath!  And what is more they will keep my case whilst I travel to Quito for a week to meet Alex, so I can travel light.

No comments:

Post a Comment