Saturday 4 June 2011

ASCENDING SANTA LUCIA HILL

SATURDAY 4th JUNE

  Well first night's decent sleep I've had in Chile, and I slept in as well!  Back is much better although still not 100%, I'm being advised by Mark and Robert to go for Tramadol.  I shall have to go through my phrase book and work out how to ask "have you got any Tramadol?" in Spanish, as I've noticed the chemists do not have any goods on display, you have to go up to the counter and ask.

  I decided to saunter up Avenue Bernardo O'Higgins in the opposite direction to my previous excursions and soon came across Santa Lucia Hill, which apparently became a public park in 1875.  It is quite a hefty climb to get to the very top but I managed to achieve it, and was able to see the many sights contained therein.  It was known by the natives as "Huelen" meaning pain or sadness.  On December 13th, 1541 Pedro de Valdivia conquered it on Santa Lucia Day, hence the name.  There is a statue to the man on the site.
  Fort Hidalgo was built in 1820 and it has now been restored with a cannon being fired at 12.00 each day.
I think the tall building near the left with the red sign on top is the Infinity by Ameristar, namely my residence.
As can be seen from the foregoing photos there are many aspects to Santa Lucia Hill, most of which I believe I covered, including the view from the very top.  (The mountains virtually merge with the clouds).
Santa Lucia Hill viewed from Bernardo O'Higgins street.
By the time I had finished exploring the Hill, dusk was falling and I went off to the restaurant I thought I would try tonight.  However when I got there it was closed.  So much for that then, it was back to the Indianapolis.  I went for a salami pizza this time with a beer, and went shopping for beer and crisps on the way home.  Mark phoned on Skype soon after I got in and told me of the pane of glass that had fallen out of his window.  I suggested taking the window out, and if he spoke nicely to Alan he might take it for him to the glaziers by the Target Roundabout.  I wrote some postcards, but so far don't recall having seen any post offices around, I'll have to have another look on Monday. .And so what with the blog and a few beers that really saw the rest of the night out.

No comments:

Post a Comment