Friday 3 June 2011

SANTIAGO SIGHTSEEING - NICK'S BIRTHDAY

FRIDAY 3rd JUNE
                                            A nine-year-old Tiger!
  I had taken the precaution of leaving Nick's birthdaycard and gift in Oz, so he would get it promptly on the day, taking my example from Bridie, what with the crossing the International Time Line, I would never have worked it out when his birthday would fall.  Anyway I sent him a postcard from Auckland of a Maori canoe crew so with a bit of luck and a tailwind it might get there on his birthday as well!

  Again my best sleep was after 8.00am, but I managed to rise about 11.30am.  Back still not brilliant, but sun shining brightly.  The temperature according to a display I saw in one of the streets stated that it was 18 degrees C.  I went up Estado until I came to a large square with a cathedral on the left.
At the top of the square, there was a theatre and a museum.  Again there was masses of people around.
  I decided I had gone far enough with a sore back and started heading back.  I came across an arcade with nothing but travel bags and suitcases - anyway there was nothing that stood out as a bargain compared to the one I got.  I decided to indulge in a "helados" - a strawberry one at that.  I asked for a single scoop, and was promptly told I had to go to a separate cash desk and pay first.  Having done this I was given a large tub of said ice cream with a cone stuck in it upside down!  I guess it was the equivalent of about four cones.  I sat down on a bench to consume it as this was a major undertaking.  Just as I was starting, a dog pounced on a strolling pigeon, tore it to shreds and then walked off highly satisfied.  I managed to ignore the mess on the pavement as I consumed by helados.

  I popped into a supermarket and eventually found some milk as well as butter, jam, bread and biscuits.  Armed with these provisions I returned to the digs and checked out my e-mails, and set about checking out a Bobby Womack compilation for Charly, a task that kept me busy until after dusk.

No comments:

Post a Comment