Thursday 23 June 2011

A QUIETER DAY IN LIMA

THURSDAY 23rd JUNE

  Got up before 9.00am for breakfast, and then sorted out most of my missing travel arrangements, booking a hotel in La Paz for two nights and reading up about the bus connections from Puno to La Paz.  However you don't seem to be able to buy tickets on-line. I'll have to sort that out when I get there, or perhaps in Cusco. What with the e-mails, all of that took up the bulk of the morning.  I went for my 10 sol lunch up the road, today it was it was an avocado stuffed with veg followed by fish and rice with what tasted like mashed beans.  The usual drink and this time a fruit laden jelly rounded matters off.
The orange canopy cover of my lunchime feeding hole.

  In the afternoon I took a long stroll around Miraflores in the hope of keeping my feet going for Machu Pichu!  Whilst the drivers in Lima are predominantly horn happy nutters, I do like the traffic light system which indicates how many seconds you have left before the lights change.  It is however dangerous stepping off the kerb the instant the lights turn in your favour, as one of the favourite occupations here is jumping the lights.  It is useful to know if there are only a few seconds left in your favour, because in such cases I avoid attempting to cross the road and run the gauntlet of the cars whizzing off the starting blocks as though they were competing in a grand prix!  If any poor sod is a fraction late getting away, he immediately gets a blast of the horns from at least the first three cars behind him.  I wouldn't drive here for love nor money!

  I went back to the hotel and did about 95% of my packing and then went round the laundry to pick up my washing which, apart from the bathroom stuff completed the packing.  Alan phoned on Skype but we had a somewhat disjointed conversation as the line kept breaking up.  Then it was Mark, a much better connection, discussing problems with car insurance, something that he is taking a keen interest in now that he has passed the test!  Whilst he was on Pat phoned him from Bristol, but apparently was under the impression that he had phoned her!  I believe hers was the first call on the domestic phone since it has been repaired following two phones of inactivity.

  As it is my last night in Lima, I decided to treat myself to a nice dinner in a Peruvian/Italian restaurant, that had a nice ambience and very good food.  I had garlic bread with pickled fish, a beef gulash with mushroom in a Merlot sauce with fettucine, finished off by a crepe Suchard - pancake with ice cream and chocolate sause.  All washed down by a Pisko Sour.  It all came to about £15 and worth every penny in my estimation!

No comments:

Post a Comment