Wednesday 8 June 2011

HOPPING OVER TO EASTER ISLAND

WEDNESDAY 8th JUNE

  Well I couldn't get to sleep at all last night, my mind was full of  "what ifs" which weren't conducive to nodding off.  I noticed my ticket stated baggage limit was 23Kg whereas on the BA/Qantas flights it was 2x23Kg.  Would I have problems with the weight?  I had spread it over two bags, but who knows.  I decided to get up at 4.00am and work on the computer until it was time to go.  I got up to go to the bathroom about 1.30am and the next thing I knew the alarm was going off!  Thank gawd it worked as I was sparko!  I made some coffee checked my e-mail, and Robert rang on Skype!  Apparently it was 7.30pm with him, albeit 5.00am here - he picked the right day to phone.  I thanked him for the efforts in contacting the hotels regarding transport. I was making my way downstairs as 6.00am struck.  The reception was in darkness.  I went to the front door - it was locked!  Shite!  How was I going to get out.  I rattled the door, and I suddenly heard some noise - it was the receptionist waking in his chair!  I waited awhile, but no sign of Louis.  I kind of communicated with the receptionist who phoned Louis.  Apparently he thought he was due at 6.30am - I reckon he just slept in.  He arrived about 6.20am and told me he would get me to the airport in 20 minutes.  As my flight was 8.20am I wasn't panicking yet.

  The domestic terminal was absolutely heaving, and I couldn't see any check-in desks stating "Isla de Paqua".  I found A LAN desk and asked where to check-in.  They didn't seem to be sure and suggested that I ask one of their colleages by the check-ins.  I made my way over to the this young lady and showed her my ricket.  She took me to a self service check-in machine, printed out my boarding card and then directed me to desk 54.  Now for the weight problem I thought.  But no, I was checked in and directed which way to go.
I had a cup of coffee airside to celebrate.  When I boarded the plane I found I was right at the back but in the central seat of three.  A big fat tatooed bloke sat on my left and a much smaller bloke on my right.  My back immediately took exception to the seats and pained me for the entite 5 hours of the flight.

  My bags turned up pretty quickly and I strode out of the tiny terminal and sure enough there was a card stating "Adam Komorowski".  I made myself known to the man who is a retired archeologist, married to an American lady with a son living in the States.  He spoke excellent English, and drove me to Tupa Hotel, about 5 minutes from the airport.  It overlooks the sea. The weather was far too warm for my t-shirt plus fleece shirt and I quickly changed into shorts and a short sleeved shirt.  I had checked in, paid my money upfront in cash, and was delighted to see that although credit cards hadn't reached the Tupa Hotel, free WiFi had. My man Sergio then drove me around the town,
which has one main street and a few side streets, where all the restaurants are to be found.  He dropped me off at one where I had an excellent meal washed down by a beer.  Next door is the car hire place recommended by Sergio, he reckons a much better way of seeing the Island than going on a tour that only lasts 4 hours and is conducted by his former students - some of whom "are not so good".  I've arranged for a small jeep which will cost me $60 - but there may be an English chap arriving on the evening flight and Sergio said he might like to share - well see.

  I walked down to the shore and then back to the hotel taking in the sights enroute.
  After getting back I found I was a bit drowsy what with the beer and that, and decided on a bit of a siesta, as I was a bit short on sleep.  After waking up from that it was time to catch up on these blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment