Thursday 28 July 2011

MERCADO CENTRALE

THURSDAY 28th JULY

  After a quiet morning, I set off for the Central Market.  It was another warm day at 31 degrees, and the walk was quite a long one.  I first went to the back of the fort where I discovered a tiled picture of Our Lady on the back wall.
Behind the fort is a garden which has a large tree in the middle.  This wasa gift from the people of Senegal.  Apparently one of three such trees.  One is in Rio, another here and the third somewhere else.  Quite why these trees were donate is not clear to me, perhaps Abigail will be able to shed some llight on the matter.
  I then did the rounds of the shops in the area, but the bulk were fashion or curtains or bedclothes, so not a lot of interest.  There was one road with some different things but again not of great interest to me.
After that I did the rounds of the Mercado Centrale and purchased several items to bring back as presents for the kids, and then walked back to the hotel.  I nodded off on the bed and didn't get out for dinner until after 7.00pm.  One day left to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment