Sunday 10 July 2011

THE LEAVING OF RIO

SUNDAY 10th JULY

  Last day in Rio, and with the room available until midday I made the most of it.  I went out for a walk after breakfast and strolled over to the beach, another cloudless sky, with the temperature around 20 degrees at 9.00am and rising to about 24 later in the day, but a bit of the a breeze off the sea prevented it from getting too hot.  I checked out just before midday, left my luggage in care of the hotel and went off walking again.  I found a bench in the shade and spent about half an hout there observing the world go by.  A longish stroll saw me find an icecream machine and I treated myself to a vanilla and chocolate cone, before returning to the beach.
I had a beer that lasted me over an hour, and found a statue of what I think is meant to be an 18 year old soldier.
Then I slowly wandered back to the hotel for about 4pm.  Having retreived my luggage I asked a member of staff to get me a cab - it was he told 70 reails - which was 30 cheaper than I paid getting there.  And so it was time to bid fairwell to the Astoria.
I got to the airport in about half an hour, checked in in no time and was thorough security in a flash.  I had seat 2B so was right at the front of the plane and the second person off it.  My luggage came through quickly,in fact one bag was the very first on the carousel.  I went in search of my cab, and at first I thought the South American curse was going to strike again, but my man was there, he was just standing at the bag.  I'm now happily checked in at the Cocal Hotel in Fortaleza for the next three weeks.  The temperature here at midnight is 25 degrees!

No comments:

Post a Comment