Wednesday 9 November 2011

UPTOWN

WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER

  I set off about 9.00am and caught a bus to Mt Druitt and about 10 minutes later a train into Central.  On the way some Korean girl had the temerity to ask me to move my bag so she could sit down in the adjoining seat.  I did so with ill grace but made sure I sat away from the window a bit so she had little space to sit in.  Ah! the grumpy old man syndrome strikes again! 

  I walked up to Lawsons where I found a goodly selection of goodies at $5/$10 including a couple of Cliff Richard CD's, a Peter Sellers, Shirley Bassey, Miracles, as well as a triple Sam Cooke and ditto Helen Shapiro.  I then walked on to Red Eye where I discovered that the main shop in King Street had moved to York Street opposite the QVC.  In front of the building an artist had chalked up a large
bit of artwork on a canvas.

  After also visiting a branch of JB where I picked up a Slim Dusty CD for $7, I decided to call time on my shopping.  It was another scorching hot day.  I caught a train to Epping and went to the Epping Hotel contemplating a steak sandwich for lunch.  In the event there was only a choice of pizza or chips.  I got a ginormous bowl of the things and with the aid of a glass of Boags managed to consume the lot.  I then caught a train to Beecroft, arriving about 45 minutes early, which enabled me to have a coffee and read the Kindle (I'm on a David Baldacci book at present).  I then went to the station entrance where Jane and Nick picked me up.

  It was time for the indoor football league.  Jane is the team coach and her assistant was not present today so I deputised on the bench.  Nick scored the equalising goal to make it 1-1 at half time.  He was in goal in the second half and took a complete disinterest in the game, at one stage turning his back to play and jumping up trying to touch the crossbar.  He let in three soft goals in the space of a few minutes without making any determined effort to stop the ball.  My yelling of instructions went generally unheeded as did the instructions for players to come off to be substituted!  I nearly yelled myself hoarse shouting at Ethan and Ben - it was almost as if they didn't know their names or were so engrossed in the game they couldn't hear anything!  Two late own goals brought the score to 4-3 but time ran out for the equaliser.  Nick's reaction was to state that he was going to leave the team.

  I caught a train to Strathfield and within minutes caught an express to Penrith that dropped me off at Mt Druitt in no time.  I caught a bus back and was just taking Reilly out for a walk when Robert pulled in having gone out shopping.  It was another very warm evening and several beers were consumed.  Jeannette had to go to Jayden's new prospective High School, and when she got back made some tuna sandwiches.  One was enough for me after that enormous bowl of chips!

1 comment:

  1. The Korean girl was, I presume, not particularly good looking.

    ReplyDelete