Friday 18 November 2011

SUMMER's BACK

FRIDAY 18th NOVEMBER

  Although the day started overcast, by lunchtime there were blue skies and the temperature was up to 25 degrees.  I even managed our long walk in the park in the afternoon with the dog without getting mud on my shoes.  I was able to sit out and work in a short sleeved shirt without feeling at all cold.  It was a day of phonecalls.  Robert phoned putting on a spoof Indian accent, but I rumbled him after a few sentences.  I then had a call asking me if I was Mr Caceres to which I replied in the negative and the bloke hung up.  Then there was a woman telling me I could win a holiday anywhere in Australia for two weeks.  I asked her if this included a flight from the UK and she told me it didn't.  In that case, I told her, your offer is of no interest to me and hung up.  Finally Robert phoned again, this time without assuming an alter ego, and told me that Jeannette was working late and would I be ready at the end of the drive at 5.30pm for him to pick me up as we were going to the pub. In the event he turned up at 4.50pm.  We went to the pub at 6.00pm, had a couple and returned home awaiting Jeannette's arrival.

  We went to the Plumpton Hotel where I had a sizeable rump steak, chips and salad for $16, along with a couple of glasses of wine.  After returning home I watched the 2nd Test in South Africa.  Yesterday the South Africans had slumped from around 240-4 to 266 all out.  Today Hughes and Watson put on 180 odd for the opening partnership.  Ponting was out for 0, and the South Africans took four wickets before tea with the Aussies still behind on first innings.  On that note I went to bed as it is a fairly early start for basketball in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment