Thursday 3 November 2011

COLD AND WET

THURSDAY  3rd NOVEMBER

  A change in the weather - it has been raining most of the morning and the temperature has fallen.  I spent the morning working on the computer and then took Reilly out for a walk.  He got extremely muddy and my shoes were soaked, so I had to leave him out in the garden.  My instructions from Robert were very precise:  he is not allowed into the sunhouse if wet and/or muddy.  Robert has cleaned and bleached the concete floor and it is immaculate and not to be spoilt by muddy paw prints!  Reilly has found a baseball that he is keen on chasing when thrown for him, and has found it impossible to chew due to both size and hardness.  However he takes great delight in carrying it around in his mouth like a giant gob stopper!


  Sam and Charlene came round last night (post-blog) with my wedding invitation.  It is quite an elaborate affair (the invitation - "elaborate is too mild a word for the actual wedding!), and apparently in common with most men I only looked at the invite to the reception not the actual wedding.
For the benefit of Alan and anyone else interested in such matters the wedding will take place at 10.00am at the Coptic Orthodox Cathedral of the Virgin Mary and Saint Mina in Bexley, and the reception will be at the Edessa Reception and Function Centre in Greenfield Park at 6.30pm.  Quite what happens between the two I do not know (I'm assuming that the wedding and ensuing Holy Liturgy cannot possibly last until 6.00pm).  At any rate Jeannette has to go and join Charlene and Kathy at 2.00am on Saturday to have her hair/nails and make up done in readiness!

  Robert picked me up after work and we drove down to Epping where we collected Nick and then drove up the road to Robert's six-a-side football game.  It was all a shambles.  The website said it was a 6.30pm kick-off which was the time the Epping Tigers turned up.  The opposition had been given an earlier kick-off time, so both teams claimed a victory due to the opposition not being there for the kick-off!  Robert, Pav and Dave settled for a beer in the park and I watched Nick practise his basketball throws and I played with the rugby ball, passing and kicking it to him.  He told me that I was much better at the spin pass than his father.  (I should hope so too having played the game from the age of seven until well into my forties).  I defer to Robert in his footballing skills - I am/was nowhere near as good as he in that department, but rugby....!!!
I gave Nick the money that Nana Bridie asked me to pass onto him and matched it with an equal sum from myself.  He was the proud owner of $50!  He told me that we would be going to the North Rocks as they were open until midnight.  And he was right too, the North Rocks being a shopping centre I had not previously been to, which had a K-Mart with a toy department where Nick promptly invested some of his new found wealth in the latest craze, little plastic wrestling figures.  All in all he was far more chatty than when I was here last, hopefully that may be as a resulting of getting over the death of his maternal grandmother earlier this year.

  We dropped Nick back off at Epping where I encountered Jingles.  No longer the mad kitten I remembered from my previous visit, but seemingly a mature cat that happily allowed me to stroke it and tickle it behind the ear.  I passed on all the clothing that Jane had purchased in the UK as well as half a dozen of her favourite Sainsbury's Tuna & Sweetcorn in Mayonnaise, and we set off for Oakhurst.  Jeannette cooked us some pizza, but with unerring timing Alan came through on Skype just as the pizza was being served and managed to keep talking long enough to ensure that it was cold by the time I got to eat it!  He had seen the first post at Jim's on Wednesday night but couldn't get the blog up on his computer.  Investigation revealed that he was inserting a superfluous "s" after "Adam", and so after correcting his error I bade him goonight, consumed my cold pizza and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment