Tuesday 1 November 2011

TRAVELLING TO OZ

MONDAY - WEDNESDAY 31st OCTOBER - 2nd NOVEMBER

  I received messages of Bon Voyage from Bridie and Angela prior to embarking on my trip and an offer from Alan to help me with my luggage on the underground to Heathrow.  I told him I would meet him on the platform at Alperton at 4.30pm - he was round at the house at 4.00pm!  Mark drove us down to the station and I have to admit it was easier carrying the suitcase up the stairs with the two of us.  The same can said of the change over of platforms at Acton Town.  The train to Heathrow was pretty packed but we eventually managed to get seats next to my case around Hounslow East. Alan accompanied me all the way to the check in desk, so much so that the check-in clerk said "are you two gentlemen both flying to Sydney?"  I told him it was only me.  Once checked in with my boarding cards (for Heathrow and Seoul), it was time to bid Alan farewell as he could follow no further!  I had a good look around the Duty Free stores but ended up only buying a comb for £1.02p.  I then adjourned to the Servisair Lounge where my pass gained me entry and had two glasses of white wine, a couple of rolls, various nibbles, and couple of cakes and two cups of coffee.  I read the Evening Standard and my Kindle until it was time to wend my way to gate 42, which was some considerable distance away  (aren't they always?).  Despite Alan's pessimistic prognostications about flights being chocka due to the Qantas problems, my Asiana flight was barely half full and I had three seats to myself.  The food was very good, and knowing what a tartar Alan is for culinary detail, I kept the menus for the meals on offer:

            LONDON - SEOUL
Meal 1  Western
   Crayfish Salad
   Mixed Green Salad
   Beef Bourguignon with Fafalline Pasta
   Forest Fruit Cake

Meal 1 Korean
   Bibimbab
   Steamed Rice, Various Vegetables and Minced Beef
   Fresh Fruit

Meal 2
   Ham & Vegetable Salad
   Stir fried Kimchi with Pork with Steamed Rice
                             or
   Chicken Thigh Chasseur with Sauteed Potato
   Fresh Fruit Salad


        SEOUL to SYDNEY

1st Meal
    Cooked Shrimp and Vegetables
    Grilled Beef Tenderloin Steak with Madeira Sauce
    Green Tea Cream Cake
                         or
     Ssambab
     Steamed Rice with Grilled Beef Bulgogi, Various Kinds Of Vegetables
     Mini Chocobar

2nd Meal
     Yogurt
     Omelet with Canadian Bacon and Potato
                        or
     Vegetable Tuna Porridge
     Fresh Fruit

My choices are indicated in bold italic.  What it didn't state on the menu was that all these dishes including the omelete were accompanied by boiled carrots - they seemed to have a fetish about them! Plenty of wine, beer, coke and juices were also to be had.

Incheon Airport seems bigger everytime I see it.  As I had about 4 hours to while away I strolled around the Duty Free shops but found nothing of interest.  There was a troupe of (presumably actors) wandering around the terminal in traditional costumes as an added attraction.  I eventually adjourned to the Hub Lounge and had some refreshments only to find that my watch had stopped, and it was in fact 7.00pm (my flight was at 8.20pm) so no major panick, but again it was quite a walk, this time to gate 32.

 This time I had an aisle seat with nobody beside me, just an English chap in the window seat. I didn't get much in the way of sleep.  There was no sign of my case at the baggage collection in Sydney - a bit of a worry as all my medication was in it.  An official asked me where I had come from and then asked to see my luggage receipt.  However at that moment my case appeared - the very last item to come off the flight! I purchased some Chanel Mademoiselle EDT for Jeanette and Horizon Blues for Robert.  My tins of tuna and mayo were signed off by the official without even taking an X-ray of my case - I must have an honest face!   I went landside but there was no sign of Robert.  I started searching for his mobile # when I heard a familiar voice behind me!  It was 19 degrees at 8.30am and by mid morning it was a pleasant 27. 
 
  I took Reilly for a walk and then walked to Plumpton where I posted the DVD to Maureen and copy of my father's book to Roddy Jordan as well as taking Robert's suit into the cleaners.  By the time I got back to the house I was fairly knackered.  But lo and behold, there was a package for me outside the front door.  It was a copy of Roddy's book on the 1957 Tour to Australia by Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent, Little Richard and Alis Lesley, and a superb tome it is too!  I had a good look through it and then turned to the blog.  Probably be an early night tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Well you got there. Good old Alan he's a trooper (that's not what Mark calls him). Still haven' faced big task!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete