Wednesday 27 April 2011

NEW COUNTRY - NEW ZEALAND

THURSDAY 28th APRIL

    Still hammering down when we got up at 4.00am.  Robert loaded up his Chelsea picture and a bag into his car - the start of clearing out of Ward Street.  We drove over to pick up Jane's car because she has the motorway tags in it.  Getting to the airport at 5.00am it still left plenty of time for Robert to get to work for 7.30am and drop Jane's car off in Epping.

  I booked in pretty quickly and had no problem with my 29Kg suitcase.  Much to my disgust my lounge pass was not valid for the Business Lounge in Sydney, so I had to go and sit with the plebs by the departure gate.  Dawn broke and what a miserable one it was too, dark and wet, but plenty of action on the tarmac with loads of flights coming and going.

  I got a window seat in the 7th row, with the two adjoining seats empty, so I had a quick getaway when disembarking. I read a book most of the way, apart from the break for breakfast.  As we started getting nearer New Zealand the clouds that had lined our route hitherto melted away leaving a clear view of the fast approaching coastline of New Zealand.  And what an imposing side it was with the snow capped peaks of the west coast.


   I filled in the visitor's card on board - it kind of replaces a visa as far as I could make out - and got a very friendly welcome from the immigration lady, who after a few questions wished me a happy stay in New Zealand.  I popped into the Gents and upon coming out immediately spotted my suitacase on the conveyer belt. After assuring the Customs that I had no fruit or food in my luggage, and passing it through an X-Ray machine I found myself officially in New Zealand.

  I found an ATM and stocked up on NZ dollars and then went in search my shuttle bus.  I drew a blank, but a help desk quickly located the hotel I was booked into and arranged for their shuttle car to come and pick me up in "6 minutes sir".  And indeed that was the case.  Again extreme friendliness all round.  I checked into the Aiport Delta Motel, which is quite close to the airport.  Although it is a beautiful sunny day, I was glad of my fleece lined jacket as there is a distinct nip in the air - and I'm not referring to the Japs!


It has WiFi - hence this updated blog.  A three minute walk round the corner saw me in Brown's Cafe where a pot of tea and a stuffed enchilado did me for lunch.  I have a large room with a massive bed, a settee, a table with two chairs, a bathroom with shower but no bath, a fridge, sink and microwave and kettle.  There is also a TV with loads of Sky channels - many of them showing rugby! Only slight problem is I have to vacate the room at 10.00am and my coach to Dunedin leaves at 2.00pm, but I can leave the luggage here.


   I set of for a stroll with a street map in hand - they are kindly provided for patrons in reception.  I walked across a large park where the rugby players were practising assiduously, and the sun continued to shine.


I followed the map to the Avonhead Shopping Mall - which turned out to be much further than it at first looked and promptly gave up all further thoughts of walking towards the town centre.  I purchased a bottle of Pinot Grigio, a packet of salami and some rolls, and turned around and headed back to the motel.  As I write this, the time is 5.30pm and the sun is just setting - I reckon by 6.00pm it will be dark.  Anyway I have drink and sustenance in house, plenty on the telly and a large bed to recline in - what more could a man desire?  (Answers on £20 notes addressed to Adam Komorowski).

No comments:

Post a Comment