Wednesday 6 April 2011

THE BLUE MOUNTAINS

WEDNESDAY 6th APRIL

  I had arranged with Bridie for her and Angela to come up by train to Mount Druitt this morning.  This would save me the hassle of driving into Eastwood during the rush hour and then back out again.  I had suggested that she ring me when the train reached Seven Hills, she insisted that she would text me.  So when my mobile rang at about a quarter to eleven, I answered it.  It promptly rang off so I rang back.  Bridie somewhat waspishily stated they were at Seven Hills and rang off.  I set off for Mount Druitt and arrived just before they got there.  I queried the call and said I was expecting a text.  She answered that she had decided to do as I had asked (miracles never cease!), and had therefore phoned.  This, I knew had cost her an extra 4Euro as she gets charged that for every Australian call received.

  Anyway I set the GPS for Katoomba and off we went, headed for the Blue Mountains.  We arrived at 12.15 and I got a one hour parking spot virtually outside the Zuppa Cafe.  We got a table outside and ordered toasted sandwiches and tea and coffee.
(Yes that is a London Transport Routemaster in the background, they do a hop on hop off tour of the area).
After that we had a tour of the high street in Katoomba and visited an intruiging second hand bric a brac store where I picked up a book for $3.  I came across the Catholic Church of the Blessed Mary McKillop of the Upper Blue Mountains and passed its location on to the girls who went to check it out.  They in turn told me of the Rivers Store where they were selling fleece lined jackets for $15.  I duly purchased one as well as some footwear.  After all this excitement we drove off in search of panoramic views along Cliff Road,
and sure enough at our frst viewing point we had a clear view of the Three Sisters.
                                (The Three Sisters to be seen to the right of Bridie's head)
Various other vantage points turned up on the route and we pulled up and took a shufty at each one.






Eventually we decided to turn back and head for Katoomba, but on the way spotted an attractive looking tea shop and decided to stop and sample their wares.
They had scones with jam and cream and we had excellent tea to go with them.  An ideal break at 4.00 in the afternoon, which certainly appeared to be appreciated by all and sundry.

  And then it was back to Plumpton where I finally bought a new suitcase and a packet of chews for Reilly (a belated birthday present), whilst Bridie bought some wine.  Both Rob and Jeannette were in by the time we got back.  Angela and Bridie settled down for the Telegraph crosswords while I took Reilly for a walk just before dusk fell.  After a tasty wine flavoured stew I drove Bridie and Angela back to Eastwood, arranging to meet them in Epping tomorrow at 5pm.  (They are going to the Duty Free Shop in the Rocks in the morning - hopefully third time lucky and are planning to go for a walk in the Macquarie Botanical Gardens).  As for me - well as usual it was time to blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment