Friday 8 April 2011

FROM BRONTE TO BONDI

FRIDAY 8th APRIL

  I was woken up by Robert before 7.00am who informed me that Jane would be leaving my phone and glasses in the garage in a bag for me to collect.  I promptly went back to sleep, but on awaking again about 8.00am I decided to get up and have a bath.  I finally decided it was time to break in my walking boots, and so donning a pair of thin socks under a pair of thick ones (all as recommended by Alan Richens Esq.), I took Reilly out for a trail walk.  I survived the experience.  I noticed upon going out that Jeannette's car was still in the road, which must have meant that she was still asleep in the house.  This came as a bit of shock as I had been calmly walking around the house in my buff under the impression that I had it all to myself!

  I set off in the car for Eastwood about 9.45am still wearing my boots.  I got there and as per usual was served up with a cup of tea and toast with marmalade and cheese which went down a treat.  I dropped the girls of in Eastwood to do some shopping whilst I found somewhere to park.  I missed a parking spot really close to the station by seconds, which did little to ease my blood pressure.  Anyway I got back to the station just before the two of them and had purchased the necessary tickets.  Our train was due in but 3 minutes, so our timing was pretty good.

  We changed at Town Hall onto the Bondi Junction train and from there caught a bus to Bronte.  The sun was shining brightly on this Sydney resort when we got there, and we selected a cafe for our lunch overlooking the beach.  Bridie had poached eggs on toast with bacon,  Angela had a chicken baguette and I went for the Roast Beef Ploughman's - at least that is what it stated on the board in the entrance,  I learnt later that there was another board inside the cafe that stated that today's special Ploughman's was salami and ham.  In the event I got beef, salami and ham with mine! The girls shared a pot of tea whilst I opted for a James Boag Premium Lager.

  Afterwards we went for a lay down on the grass bank running down to the beach, to help digest our meals.  And then we set off in the direction of Bondi, hoping we were on the right track for the Bronte to Bondi Walk.


As it turned out we were, albeit the first part consisted of just following the road around to Tamarama Beach.

It was a beatifully located beach and virtually deserted, although I guess it might get a bit more crowded at the weekend.  From there we diverted onto a path, neatly spotted by Bridie, which was the actual coastal walk.

                                (Looking back towards Bronte)
The total distance of the walk was 2 Km which with a couple of stops at conveniently situated benches, not to mention numerous photo opportunity halts, took us about an hour and a half.  We got a good view of Bondi beach once we had got around a bend.  It was pretty warm all day, albeit the sun came and went, but when it did shine there were those who happily absorbed what was on offer.



There was still quite a bit of the walk left at this stage and ultimately we walked around the bulk of the beach.
We eventually got to the Pavillion and decided to stop for coffees.  I took a seat outside and the girls went in to order.  A young chap came up to me and asked me if I knew where the changing rooms were.  I replied that I thought they were "over there" indicating with my my hand.  "But you don't know for definite?" he responded.  I replied imperiously that I didn't know for sure because I was from London.  He promptly strode off in the opposite direction.  When I mentioned this incident to Bridie she immediately suggested that this had been a chat up line from the guy, who had expected me to reply, "Yes this way, come with me and I'll show you".  My God!  What perverted minds these women have!  Anyway our coffees soon arrived so I was able to concentrate on more pleasant matters.
                                (So, just what is so amusing?)
After finishing our drinks we set off in search for a bus to Bondi Junction, which turned out to be quite close by, and we got to the station about 4.30pm.  We changed at Town Hall and were fortunate enough to get seats on the train to Eastwood.  Bridie suggested that I might like to come for a drink at the Eastwood with them, always assuming that I let Robert know of my whereabouts and estimated time of arrival home, which I did.  Calamari and chips were the special on offer tonight and Angela helped me with the chips.  Afterwards I dropped them off at Ward Street before getting back to Oakhurst, where I took Reilly out for another walk.  I joined Robert and Jeannette in watching the Tigers demolish the Rabbitoahs (Rugby League), so doubtless Nick will be happy as his man Benji Marshall had an excellent game.

No comments:

Post a Comment