Saturday 16 April 2011

LE DELUGE

SATURDAY 15th APRIL

  It was up good and early to go and pick up Nick for his 9.15am football match - it would be the last one I would see as next weekend is Easter.  When we got to Carlingford it was to discover that the game had been cancelled due to weather.  It had poured most of the night and the skies were totally overcast and the rain was continuing to come down in bucketloads.  After some discussion it was decided we would take Nick to the cinema, although he had mooted going ice skating as a possibilty, but Robert was not over keen on the idea.  We drove over to the Macquarie Shopping Centre, and after I purchased the tickets for Hop,  I went for a coffee and a rum ball whilst Rob and Nick visited a sports shop, and then joined me with burger and chicken nuggets meal respectively. I was going to take a picture but discovered that the camera batteries were dead.

  On the way to Screen 3, Nick noticed that a young lad going into the cinema had dropped a $10 note and picked it up.  He and Rob followed him in and found the boy with his mother, who was very grateful for the return of the money.  It turned out that this was also where our film was showing, and we settled into our seats.  Rob had bought Nick a tub of popcorn and I had smuggled in his drink from the chicken nuggets meal. (They charged $4 for a drink in the foyer). The film opened with a shot of Easter Island, which resurrected my ambitions to visit the place.  It was a throughly enjoyable film superbly animated all based around the plot of Carlos the Chicken to usurp the place of the new young Easter Bunny who is more concerned with being a rock drummer than the Easter Bunny.  Afterwards we went along to Borders, which was having a closing down sale, and Robert located a map of Southern South America which I purchased in order to start detailed plannning for my further travels.
                       
  We then went down a floor to JB HiFi, where Nick made a beeline for the childrens' DVD's.  Unfortunately not having my glasses I couldn't see much so I tagged along with Nick.  They were doing 3 for the price of two, in other words 3 DVD's for $20, which Nick was quick to point out when he had found several Spongebob releases.  I asked him if he would like three of them.  He replied that "Mum will be angry because she'll think I asked for them".  I told him that that was not the case as I had offered to get them for him.  However in the end he opted out and put the DVD's back and we left.   I then got Nick to direct me to Big W (he of course knew exactly where it was), and I purchased some new batteries for my camera.  After talking to his father, Nick had yet another change of heart, and decided to risk his mother's potential wrath, and we returned to JB HiFi.  He was still a bit afraid of what his mother would say, but bit the bullet and let me buy him the Spongebob DVD's.  We drove over to 'Pa's where Jane was measuring up the possibilty of their HiFi/TV unit fitting on a wall of their new sittingroom at 'Pa's house.  I of course told Jane that Nick had positevely dragged me into the shop demanding that I buy him the DVD's, whilst he heatedly protested his innocence!  In the end the truth came out and all was well.

  We took our leave of the Blanchard residence and drove over to Dougie to inspect his swimming pool.  The timber decking around it had been installed and it had had one sanding and a coat of sealant, and but for the rain would have had the second one today.  Even so it all looks pretty impressive and will be all pristine and ready for next summer.

  Upon getting back to Oakhurst it was still raining, and I got togged up in my waterproofs ready to take Reilly out, but Robert negated the idea saying he would get all wet and dirty.  I returned to my work on the computer and then read a bit.  About 1.00am I decided to have a bath and adjourned there with a book that kept me going until 2.00am.  With the whole household fast asleep, I too retired to beddybies.

No comments:

Post a Comment