Tuesday 26 April 2011

WET WET WET

TUESDAY 26th APRIL

  I stirred about 9.00am, my back was still a bit stiff, but the eggs and bacon went down a treat.  Weather was overcast and very wet.  I took Reilly out for a walk yesterday but returned with my shoes coated in mud, and Reilly sopping wet, so I didn't repeat the performance this morning.




  Mid morning Robert announced that we would be off to Carlingford in about 20 minutes.  It continued overcast and predominantly wet.  We met up with Jane and Nick on the playing fields round the corner from the flat.  They had rugby posts up and whilst it initially rained, the weather relented and there was even a spot of sunshine whilst Nick practised his place kicks with an occasional kick from Robert and myself, and a few attempts from Jane, albeit she soon left us to our own devices. After prolonged kicking and some coaching from myself (I was a place kicker in the latter stages of my career when I played full back).  We then had a game of Rugby League, with Nick making the proviso that he didn't have to tackle grandad, only touch him.  However the combination of Robert and I versus Nick soon meant that I was recruited to play on Nick's side.  I was pleased to get a good crunching tackle in on Robert, this some 28 years after playing my last game of rugby!  The net result of all this was that my clothes had to go in the washing machine when I got home, let alone Nicks's and Robert's.  The rain started coming down again and Robert called it a day and we trudged back up the hill to the car park.

  We made our way to Carlingford Court where we met up with Jane.  I had a strawberry milkshake whilst we waited for her to arrive and then joined her and Robert in a coffee whilst Nick indulged in his usual KFC meal.  We then our seperate ways with Nick going back to Epping whilst we headed back to Oakhurst.  I completed my packing when my clothes had been washed a dried, as Robert is going to take my case with him in the morning and meet up with me in Eastwood.

  Jeannette cooked another superb meal, chicken in a white sauce with Camembert topped with asparagus and potato wedges - the mouth waters just at the thought of it.  It was a quiet evening watching TV, and then it was time to bid Jeannette goodbye.  I watched a bit more myself and then I too retired.

No comments:

Post a Comment