Wednesday 13 April 2011

GIRLS A GO GO

WEDNESDAY 13th APRIL

  I made a relatively early start, and after performing my ablution realised I had used up what remained of the toilet paper.  As I wanted to post my package off to England, I jumped in the car and headed off for Plumpton.  It was 9.10am when I got there and the queue at the Post Office stretched outside the front door.  My wallet was considerably lighter by the time I had paid for the postage!  I popped into Woolies for a pack of toilet rolls and headed back home.  I made a cup of tea only to discover there was no milk - back to Plumpton!

  I searched on Google for the address for Sydney Airport but couldn't find it, and without it I couldn't use the GPS system.  I found where to park, how to get there by train and a million and one other bits of information about the airport, but no address.  I texted Bridie telling her that I would be over about 12.00 and we would drop the car off at Bayswaters  by 1.00pm and then carry on by train.  She replied that she thought they would get a cab from Bayswaters in Kings Cross.  I made one final attempt to find the address and after scrolling through several pages under the search for "Sydney Airport Address", I actually found it!  241 O'Riordan Street, Mascot was duly entered on the GPS under "Favourites".  I contact Bayswater and extended the car hire from 1.00pm to 2.30pm. I checked my e-mails before leaving and there was one from "polkadotsophie" and my mind immediately went to Sophie Davidson, and stripe if it wasn't her.  There was a message for Bridie which I was able to deliver just before she left.  Sophie is now 35 - seems to me she was only 21 a few years ago - and still single, which is most surprising!  On top of an e-mail from her mother Zosia a few days ago, the lines have been humming from the Davidson family.  I topped up the petrol at Carlingford as one has to return it with a tank full.

  I got to Ward Street just about 12.00 and we loaded the cases up into the car bidding farewell to no 4.
We went into town and visited the Ladies Institute opposite the station and sampled their tea and scones with jam and cream.  I took the opportunity of buying a day ticket at the station for later travel.  And then it was off to the airport.  I must have accidently set it for William Street as "Susie" wanted me to turn off the motorway which was clearly signpost to "The Airport".  I reset the destination and we finally arrived at Departures, where I said farewell to Bridie and Angela.  Parting is definitely not such sweet sorrow, it is simply sorrow, full stop. But I shan't dwell on it.

I reset "Susie" to "180 William Street" and we were soon at Bayswater Car Hire where I returned the car,
and set off for a stroll around Kings Cross.  The area has not had good write ups in the press in recent times but I gather that the real dangerous time is after midnight.  I was accosted by one young lady who mumbled something about "bed" or "bread", I really didn't catch what she said, and strolled imperiously on as far as a pub I remembered having a drink at with Rob and Pav a few years ago.  It was boarded up and closed down.  Instead I took in the view of the novel water fountain situated nearby, before strolling back towards

the station.  A old bloke sitting on a bar stool in a dingy doorway greeted me with "Hi mate", and I "Hi mated" him back without breaking step.  I caught a train to Town Hall and walked down to King Street visiting Red Eye.  I found a Sam The Sham CD - his first two LP's collected together and Sir Douglas Quintet "1+1+1=!=4" collection of rarities, both at $9.00.  I also called in at the other Red Eye in Pitt Street as well as Lawsons, but found nothing further to tempt me.

  From Central I caught a fast train to Penrith and got out at Mount Druitt and caught a bus home.  Robert picked me up at the bus stop and we went up to Plumpton for bread and milk.  I told him I had already purchased a bottle, so he checked back, and sure enough milk was not required.  I was emotionally and physically drained by 9.30pm and retired to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment