Thursday 30 December 2010

HOMEWARD BOUND (MARK THAT IS)

THURSDAY 30th DECEMBER

  No Test Match to get up for today, so we had a bit of a lay in.  I was last down about 9.10am.  Maureen cooked scrambled eggs, bacon and mushrooms which went down a treat.  Alan then continued unsuccessfully to try and book a flight to Sydney, to the accompaniment of considerable derision from Mark and Maureen and eventually gave up.  I tried ringing Virgin but the first time I got through I was cut off in mid conversation.  On the third attempt I was successful in more senses than one.  Not only were they able to give me my phone/account number and six digit pin number, they registered my voucher number and hey presto I was back on line.  Also my attempt to buy more storage space for my photos was a success so I am now putting in photos and will soon have all the missing ones back to Christmas Day in situ.  Good news that Spurs are now in 4th place ahead of Chelsea following their win over Newcastle.

  We set off about 12.30 to get Mark and his large Koala Bear (that he purchased yesterday allegedly at somebody's behest in London).  We got to the airport in plenty of time and duly dropped off the bronzed England supporter off to head for his new job at Imperial College.
  On the way back we called in at Debbie's (Maureen's daughter who has gone to Vietnam on holiday with her partner) home to feed the cat.  Their residence is in a large building that used to be a lunatic asylum and is now in self contained luxury grounds with a communal swimming pool.  On the way back we stopped at Dan Murphy's and I purchased some wines for the morrow and Alan topped up the beer supplies.  Maureen then went shopping whilst Alan called in at Flight Centre and booked tickets to Sydney.  He is arriving for the second day of the Sydney Test.  I purchased some postcards for the Bushey grandchildren and Nick and Maureen posted them later in the afternoon.

  Whilst she was gone, the local branch of her bank was closed, so she had to travel further afield, a neighbour, Peter called in and we quaffed a few beers, discussed the cricket and then came up with advise on places to visit when he comes to England with his wife Carol next June and stays with Alan.  After that it was back to work on the blog which I have been doing now for a few hours.  A glass of white wine and cheese, biscuits and pate have recently appeared to sustain me in my task.  Alan is back reading the paper having had a bit of a nap, whilst Maureen does the crossword.  We have been sitting in the back garden in very pleasant weather and only now at 7.00pm is it getting a bit cooler, but I'm still here in T-shirt and shorts without shivering!

No comments:

Post a Comment