Saturday 4 December 2010

THE 2nd TEST ADELAIDE

FRIDAY 3rd DECEMBER

  I woke up with a bit of a headache following the trip to  Hamley bridge the previous night.  However it was nothing that a coffee wouldn't overcome, and soon I was loading up my suitcase on Steve's trailer and saying goodbye to Scruffy.   We drove down to Gawler where Steve picked up one of his workmen and then called in  at the Australian equivalent of B&Q, where Steve picked up some materials he needed for the day's work.  We arrived at the Royal Coach Motel about 10.00am.

where Steve told me he had once delivered a wheel for Stephen Mansell for the Adelaide Grand Prix.
We deposited my luggage and I told them that my son Mark would be checking in for the two of us later on this morning.  Steve then drove me down to the Adelaide Oval where I arrived shortly after 10.30am.  By the time I arrived at my seat Katich had been run out for nought without facing a ball and Ponting had been caught first ball for a golden duck by Swann off of Anderson.  Even better was to follow when Clarke followed in similar fashion for two.  If only Anderson had held on to a return catch of Mike Hussey, Australia would have been 12-4.  Anyway the day proceeded well for England and by the end of the day Australia were all out for 245.  My seat was just down from the Hill where the Barmy Army were situated, and it was fully exposed to the sun all day with the temperature reaching 35 degrees in the shade,  The only trouble was that I wasn't in the shade! 


I managed to refrain from drinking a single drop of beer all day, although I did invest in a few bottles of cold drinks.   To my left was the Bradman Stand and opposite me was the new West Stand with its shell-like roof.  I waited for the crowd to clear from the ground before following the remnants up the road from the ground.  I was fortunate to spot a taxi stuck in a traffic jam disgorging its passengers in the road close to me and managed to hail the cab and get myself back to the hotel for the princely sum of $7.00.  Upon arriving there I found Mark relaxing in the double bed in our room. Apparently he felt so good on arrival that he walked to the Oval and purchased a ticket on the street for $20.00, considerably less than I had paid for my ticket!  He watched the game and only witnessed one Australian wicket fall, before he eventually decided to return to the hotel.  By the time he got back to the hotel Australia were almost all out! After a shower or two, we moved out into the town, walking through the park until we reached the Stag.  Mark noticed that members got a Peroni beer for $6.00, and inquired how you became a member.  This involved filling in a form,which he did for the two of us.  For the rest of of night every round we bought we were charged $8.00 per beer until we queried it and then our change was adjusted with an apology accompanied by a statement saying that the swipe cards we had been given didn't seem to work properly.  Anyway it saved us a few bob in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment