Sunday 31 October 2010

3 Days And Counting

  Things are looking up.  MBNA have come up with a new Amex card for me which is valid until 2013, so I shall have at least one valid credit card on my trip after January!  Having gone to the Apple shop in Regent Street and the O2  shop in Oxford Street, and followed their advise, O2 appear to have unlocked my iphone and I have been told to buy a local SIM card (Vodaphone seems the favourite in Australia).  Jim set up Skype on my notebook today and also on his own computer and we tested it and it works.  Sons Adam and Mark are also on Skype so communication channels should remain open.  Denise, Andrew and the grandchildren Shauna and James gave me a couple Nike/Puma teeshirts as well as a first aid box as early Christmas presents, so I'm well equipped.  I also discovered today that my luggage allowance is two bags at 23Kg each.  I had been working on one at 20Kg.  I shall stick to one, but it allows me an extra 3Kg.  The packing is nearly all done and I have managed to pack my chunky walking boots.  I'll break them in before I get to Peru - Australia seems to be favourite for this task.  Jim came good with the South African Rand, and Sarah found some Australian Dollars, all of which I have duly purchased, and I now have some £500 of foreign currency to take with me to supplement the sterling.

No comments:

Post a Comment